Science Discussion: Compression Strength Of 1 Inch Aluminum TubingGroup: sci.engr.mech
Discussion: Compression Strength Of 1 Inch Aluminum Tubing

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Jack
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
How can I calculate the compression load factor for a 1 inch aluminum
tube, 049-065 wall thickness

Dlzc
Oct 16, 2009 - 05:02:01 pm EST
Dear Jack:

On Oct 16, 1:29=A0pm, Jack wrote:
> How can I =A0calculate the compression load factor
> for a 1 inch aluminum tube, 049-065 wall thickness

You will need to evaluate the failure mode. Long shapes fail by
"Euler buckling". Short shapes fail in the expected crushing mode.

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/columns/columns.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

David A. Smith

Brian Whatcott
Oct 19, 2009 - 05:53:30 am EST
Jack wrote:
> How can I calculate the compression load factor for a 1 inch aluminum
> tube, 049-065 wall thickness

For metals the load to yield is much the same in compression or in
tension. You find the area of the cross-section and multiply with the
yield strength. But a column in compression doesn't usually fail this
way. It fails in buckling. The criterion here is slenderness ratio.

If its no more than 20 times as long as its diameter, it won't fail in
buckling (usually) and conditionally, columns (or struts, same
difference) can hold up at slenderness ratios up to 80:1.
The key is No Side Loads At All. All Loads Through The Long Axis.

Brian W

Fred Osim
Oct 21, 2009 - 11:39:56 pm EST
the load on the tube has a lot to do with their end conditions, whether it
is simply connected or moment connected, and how it is loaded. for just
compression, stress equals force over area. for buckling,
Pcr=pi^2EI/(KL)^2. if K=1, both ends are pinned, if both ends are rigidly
clamped, K=.5. if one end is clamped and the other end is pinned, K=.7. if
the columned is cantilever and loaded at free end, K=2.

reference: statics and mechanics of materials by nash, schaum's outline.

from fred.

but wrote in message
news:d8b18d2f-17ff-4c7d-a306-143161f54389 [No Spam] s21g2000prm.googlegroups.com...
> How can I calculate the compression load factor for a 1 inch aluminum
> tube, 049-065 wall thickness

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Search Tags:
"aluminium tube compressive strength"
1" square aluminum compressive strength
3x3x0.125 aluminum column crushing strength
aluminium tube compression strength
aluminium tube compressive strength
aluminum square tube compression strength
aluminum tube column strength calculation
aluminum tube compression strength
aluminum tube compressive strength
aluminum tubing compressive strength
calculate column load of square tubing
calculate compressive strength of aluminium pole
calculating the compression strength of square aluminum tubing
compression failure of aluminum
compression strength 1 inch aluminum tubing...
compressive strength aluminum square tube
compressive strength aluminum tube
compressive strength aluminum tubing
compressive strength of aluminium sqaure tubes
compressive strength of aluminum tube
compressive strength of aluminum tubing
compressive strength square tube
compute compressive stress in aluminum tube
short aluminum p**e column compression stress
square aluminum tubing load formula
SQUARE TUBE ALUMINUM COLUMN SLENDERNESS RATIO
tube compression strength
wall thikness to strength ratio in aluminum tubing