Recreational Discussion: Albert Talton's Wild Ride: Lessons From A $7 Million DollarcounterfeiterGroup: rec.collecting.paper-money
Discussion: Albert Talton's Wild Ride: Lessons From A $7 Million Dollarcounterfeiter

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Duh_OZ
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:07:42 -0700 (PDT)
Every store I go runs the highlighter through large denomination
bills, so how in the ???? did they get away with it for 3 y***s?

Snip:
======================
Over the course of three y***s, Talton managed to evade capture and
print $7 million worth of $100 bills. His team used garden variety
laser printers, computers and imaging software to circumvent
sophisticated anti-forgery technologies built into every bill. The
case illustrates how technology has made it much easier to commit high
crimes with tools available at a typical consumer electronics store.
Every week or so, Talton picked up new printer cartridges from his
local Staples store, dropped off his empty cartridges at the store's
recycling bin, and even used a rewards card to collect points to use
for future purchases. On May 15, he was finally caught with five
accomplices, according to Coin News
==========

Link from heck:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/08/26/albert-taltons-wild-ride-lessons-from-a-7-million-dollar-coun/?icid=webmail|wbml-aol|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2F2009%2F08%2F26%2Falbert-taltons-wild-ride-lessons-from-a-7-million-dollar-coun%2F

Tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/lvefec

Coinsusa
Aug 27, 2009 - 06:41:42 pm EST
On Aug 27, 3:07=A0pm, Duh_OZ wrote:
> Every store I go runs the highlighter through large denomination
> bills, so how in the ???? did they get away with it for 3 y***s?

That is not so hard to do. I'm not going to reveal exactly what to do,
but there is a chemical that the paper can be treated with to fool the
"magic pen" that everyone puts all their trust into instead of
learning to recognise the real anti-counterfeiting features. On the
other hand, there is another treatment for REAL notes that will make
the "wonderful magic pen" declare them to be phoney. Oh yeah... I
would expect to find both of these chemicals in a normal household.

Just for fun, can you name 5 anti counterfeiting devices used in a
current US $20 ?

Parthicus
Aug 27, 2009 - 10:23:42 pm EST
On Aug 27, 6:41=A0pm, coinsusa wrote:
> On Aug 27, 3:07=A0pm, Duh_OZ wrote:
>
> > Every store I go runs the highlighter through large denomination
> > bills, so how in the ???? did they get away with it for 3 y***s?
>
> That is not so hard to do. I'm not going to reveal exactly what to do,
> but there is a chemical that the paper can be treated with to fool the
> "magic pen" that everyone puts all their trust into instead of
> learning to recognise the real anti-counterfeiting features. =A0 On the
> other hand, there is another treatment for REAL notes that will make
> the "wonderful magic pen" declare them to be phoney. =A0Oh yeah... =A0I
> would expect to find both of these chemicals =A0in a normal household.
>
> =A0Just for fun, can you name 5 anti counterfeiting devices used =A0in a
> current US $20 ?

Hmm, without looking it up... I know that the pen is just a simple
iodine-containing solution for detecting the presence of starch. (US
currency paper is a "rag" made from non-starch-containing fiber, I
believe cotton, while almost all normally-available paper types
contain starch.) So to get a false "fake" reaction, a prankster could
just soak some real money in starch, dry it off, spend, and let the
fun begin. The simplest way to make fake money pass the pen test
would be to use real low-denomination notes, bleach them, and print
over them with the higher denomination. Other anti-counterfeiting
marks from the low-denomination note would still be present that
wouldn't match the new fake denomination, but hey, if it passed the
pen test, few clerks would bother to try anything else.

Checking a $20 right now... 1) A watermark of Andy Jackson's face.
2) An embedded strip with "USA TWENTY" repeated. 3) On the front, an
eagle-with-shield and 20 are in a sparkly gold ink that shifts color
depending on how the light hits it- that would be hard to replicate
with a scanner and laser printer. I don't have a black light handy,
but I would guess there is some UV-sensitive ink used also. So what
nifty security features am I missing?

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
(Oh, if anyone worries about revealing the "secrets" of
counterfeiters: The criminals already know this stuff. Honest
people, especially tellers and merchants, need to understand how to
detect the fakes out there, and not get lazy enough to rely on an
easily-defeated pen.)

Coinsusa
Aug 28, 2009 - 09:31:03 am EST
On Aug 27, 10:23=A0pm, parthi... [No Spam] yahoo.com wrote:
> On Aug 27, 6:41=A0pm, coinsusa wrote:
>
> > On Aug 27, 3:07=A0pm, Duh_OZ wrote:
>
> > > Every store I go runs the highlighter through large denomination
> > > bills, so how in the ???? did they get away with it for 3 y***s?
>
> > That is not so hard to do. I'm not going to reveal exactly what to do,
> > but there is a chemical that the paper can be treated with to fool the
> > "magic pen" that everyone puts all their trust into instead of
> > learning to recognise the real anti-counterfeiting features. =A0 On the
> > other hand, there is another treatment for REAL notes that will make
> > the "wonderful magic pen" declare them to be phoney. =A0Oh yeah... =A0I
> > would expect to find both of these chemicals =A0in a normal household.
>
> > =A0Just for fun, can you name 5 anti counterfeiting devices used =A0in =
> > current US $20 ?
>
> Hmm, without looking it up... =A0I know that the pen is just a simple
> iodine-containing solution for detecting the presence of starch. =A0(US
> currency paper is a "rag" made from non-starch-containing fiber, I
> believe cotton, while almost all normally-available paper types
> contain starch.) =A0So to get a false "fake" reaction, a prankster could
> just soak some real money in starch, dry it off, spend, and let the
> fun begin. =A0The simplest way to make fake money pass the pen test
> would be to use real low-denomination notes, bleach them, and print
> over them with the higher denomination. =A0 Other anti-counterfeiting
> marks from the low-denomination note would still be present that
> wouldn't match the new fake denomination, but hey, if it passed the
> pen test, few clerks would bother to try anything else.
>
> Checking a $20 right now... 1) =A0A watermark of Andy Jackson's face.
> 2) An embedded strip with "USA TWENTY" repeated. =A03) On the front, an
> eagle-with-shield and 20 are in a sparkly gold ink that shifts color
> depending on how the light hits it- that would be hard to replicate
> with a scanner and laser printer. =A0 =A0I don't have a black light handy=
,
> but I would guess there is some UV-sensitive ink used also. =A0So what
> nifty security features am I missing?
>
> -Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
> (Oh, if anyone worries about =A0revealing the "secrets" of
> counterfeiters: =A0The criminals already know this stuff. =A0Honest
> people, especially tellers and merchants, need to understand how to
> detect the fakes out there, and not get lazy enough to rely on an
> easily-defeated pen.)

Here is a pretty good piece on the magic pen

http://calladus.blogspot.com/2006/09/testing-counterfeit-money-detector-pen=
.html

This is one of the more techie devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

they also have micro printing on the note and blue and red threads in
the rag

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Search Tags:
"albert talton method"
albert talton
albert talton amd his group
ALBERT Talton COUNTERFEIT METHOD
Albert Talton forgery
albert talton glue
albert talton glued with method
Albert Talton how he did it
albert talton laser printer
albert talton method
albert talton method tutorial
ALBERT TALTON MONEY MAKING SECRETS
albert talton paper
albert talton paper type
Albert Talton tutorial
Albert Talton what paper did he use
albert talton wiki
albert talton wikipedia
albert talton's method.
albert talton, what printer did he use?
american greed albert talton reaction paper
brand of paper talton used to make money
chemicals that make money pass pen test
how did albert talton do it
how did albert talton edit his counterfeit
how did albert talton fool everyone
how did albert talton make counterfeit money
how did albert talton make fake money
how did talton glue paper
how much did albert talton's bills weigh?
http://www.usenetmessages.com/view.php?c=recreational&g=1051&id=369959&p=0
kind of glue did albert talton use
the glue albert talton used to make counterfeit money
what adhesive did Albert Talton use
what did Albert talton use
what did albert talton use laser printer for
what did albert talton use laser printers for
what did albrt talton use
what kind of glue machines did albert talton use
what kind of paper did albert talton use
what kind of paper did albert talton use to counterfeit money
what material did albert talton use to counterfeit
what paper did albert talton use
what paper did albert talton use?
what paper do albert talton use
what printer did albert talton use
what software did albert talton use
what software did albert talton use to make water mark
what tools did albert talton use to make his counterfeit money
what type of glue did albert talton use?
what type of glue process did albert talton use
what type of paper did Albert talton use
what type of printets did albert talton use
what type of software did albert talton use
where did abert talton get his paper from and what brand
where did talton get his watermark
would the rag paper u buy at normal supply stores pass the iodine pen for counterfeiting?