Other Discussion: Descent From Elizabeth (Isabel) VermandoisGroup: soc.genealogy.medieval
Discussion: Descent From Elizabeth (Isabel) Vermandois

Page: 1 2 3   Next  (First | Last)

Pauline Schwarz
Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:40:21 -0500 (CDT)
My descent is as follows:

Elizabeth de Vermandois - Robert de Beaumont
Robert II de Beaumont - Amicie de Gae
Marguerite de Beaumont - Raoul V de Conches
Ida de Tosny - Roger Bigod II
Hugh Bigod III - Maud Marshall
Isabel Bigod - John Fitzgeoffrey
Maud Fitzjohn - William de Beauchamp
Isabel de Beauchamp - Hugh le Despenser
Phillip le Despenser - Margaret de Goushill
Phillip le Despenser - Joan Strange
Sir Phillip le Despenser - Margaret Cobham
Sir Phillip le Despenser - Elizabeth Tybotot
Margaret le Despenser - Sir Roger Wentworth
Margaret Wentworth - Sir William Hopton
Margaret Hopton - Sir Phillip Booth
Audrey Booth - Sir William Lytton
Sir Robert Lytton - Frances Cavelery
Anne Lytton - Sir John Borlase
Anne Borlase - Sir Euseby Isham
William Isham - Mary Brett
Capt. Henry Isham - Katherine Banks Royall
Anne Isham - Francis Eppes
Francis Eppes - Sarah Kennon
Ann Eppes - Benjamin Harris
Joseph Harris - Rebekah Howard
Robert Harris - Annie Lancaster
John Proctor Harris - Elizabeth Richardson
Silas Randolph Harris, Sr. - Susan M. Paul
Silas Randolph Harris, Jr. - Mary Elizabeth Thompson
Elmer Franklin Harris - Clara May McGinnis
Pauline Marie Harris - Thomas Lee Schwarz

Mine is the same as many others until we get to Roger Wentworth. Capt.
Henry Isham is my gateway ancestor arriving in Virginia about 1656.

Pauline Harris Schwarz

John
Oct 30, 2011 - 12:31:37 pm EST
On Oct 29, 2:40=A0pm, Pauline Schwarz wrote:
> =A0 =A0My descent is as follows:
>
> =A0 =A0Elizabeth de Vermandois - Robert de Beaumont
> =A0 =A0Robert II de Beaumont - Amicie de Gae
> =A0 =A0Marguerite de Beaumont - Raoul V de Conches
> =A0 =A0Ida de Tosny - Roger Bigod II
> =A0 =A0Hugh Bigod III - Maud Marshall
> =A0 =A0Isabel Bigod - John Fitzgeoffrey
> =A0 =A0Maud Fitzjohn - William de Beauchamp
> =A0 =A0Isabel de Beauchamp - Hugh le Despenser
> =A0 =A0Phillip le Despenser - Margaret de Goushill
> =A0 =A0Phillip le Despenser - Joan Strange
> =A0 =A0Sir Phillip le Despenser - Margaret Cobham
> =A0 =A0Sir Phillip le Despenser - Elizabeth Tybotot
> =A0 =A0Margaret le Despenser - Sir Roger Wentworth
> =A0 =A0Margaret Wentworth - Sir William Hopton
> =A0 =A0Margaret Hopton - Sir Phillip Booth
> =A0 =A0Audrey Booth - Sir William Lytton
> =A0 =A0Sir Robert Lytton - Frances Cavelery
> =A0 =A0Anne Lytton - Sir John Borlase
> =A0 =A0Anne Borlase - Sir Euseby Isham
> =A0 =A0William Isham - Mary Brett
> =A0 =A0Capt. Henry Isham - Katherine Banks Royall
> =A0 =A0Anne Isham - Francis Eppes
> =A0 =A0Francis Eppes - Sarah Kennon
> =A0 =A0Ann Eppes - Benjamin Harris
> =A0 =A0Joseph Harris - Rebekah Howard
> =A0 =A0Robert Harris - Annie Lancaster
> =A0 =A0John Proctor Harris - Elizabeth Richardson
> =A0 =A0Silas Randolph Harris, Sr. - Susan M. Paul
> =A0 =A0Silas Randolph Harris, Jr. - Mary Elizabeth Thompson
> =A0 =A0Elmer Franklin Harris - Clara May McGinnis
> =A0 =A0Pauline Marie Harris - Thomas Lee Schwarz
>
> =A0 =A0Mine is the same as many others until we get to Roger Wentworth. =
=A0Capt.
> =A0 =A0Henry Isham is my gateway ancestor arriving in Virginia about 1656=
.

> =A0 =A0Pauline Harris Schwarz

Capt. Henry Isham, the gateway ancestor discussed above, is mentioned
in the 2004 edition of Plantagenet Ancestry because his daughter Mary
m. Col. William Randolph, who is himself a Plantagenet descendant.
But no such descent is shown for Henry and his daughter Mary, although
one appears to exist - going back from Sir William Hopton in the list
above. Does anyone know if the more recent edition of Plantagenet
Ancestry includes a descent for Henry Isham - or if such a descent
has otherwise been published?

TJ Booth_aol
Nov 07, 2011 - 06:11:18 pm EST
Several sources show an Edw I ancestry for immigrant Henry Isham via William
Lytton Esq. of Knebworth Herts, d. 26 Aug 1517. This error is due to
identifying Lytton's parents as Sir Robert Lytton and a dau of John Andrews
d. 1473. For instance, geneaologics [No Spam]
http://genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00232164&tree=LEO, citing
Paget, shows the mother as 'Agnes Andrews', a supposed 3rd dau of John
Andrews and Elizabeth Stratton of Baylham Suffolk.

An initial search found no evidence for a 3rd Andrews daughter named Agnes.
It did find that Burkes identified William's mother as 'Elizabeth dau &
co-heir of John Andrews of Weston in Norfolk, relict of Thomas Windsor' (see
http://books.google.com/books?id=uo9AAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA447 ). Burkes and Paget
at least agree William's mother was a dau of John Andrews, but don't agree
on her name. Paget instead shows Eliz w only 1 husband (Thomas Windsor).

o*d RPA [sub Ludlow], page 475, identifies just 2 daughters for John Andrews
and Elizabeth Stratton, none named Agnes. It does note p. 476 Elizabeth
Andrew's 2nd husband was Sir Robert Lytton, who she m. aft 1st husband
Thomas Windsor d. 29 Sep 1485, and states that she bore Sir Robert 2 sons -
William and Thomas. This statement matches Burkes as to William's mother,
and if Paget's 'Agnes' is conflated with his 'Elizabeth Andrews', all
sources would seem to agree that Sir Robert's eldest son William was by
mother Eliz Andrews, and thus has an Edw I ancestry.

However, other sources reveal a major inconsistency. o*d MCA [sub Lytton] p.
545 shows the parents of William Lytton Esq. of Knebworth (m. Audrey Booth)
as Sir Robert "by his 1st wife, Agnes. dau and heiress of Thomas Rede,
citizen of London." o*d RPA and o*d MCA thus show different mothers for
William - is it the same in the new editions?

William Lytton's father, Sir Robert, did marry two wives, so which one was
William's mother?

The identity of his mother is proved by the wills of the father and mother
of Agnes Rede. They and other evidence are in a footnote in Compton Reade;
'A Record of the Redes of Barton Court Berks'; Hereford; Jakeman & Carver;
1899; page 22 [No Spam] http://books.google.com/books?id=cqtCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA22 . The
footnote pedigree for Lytton cites and quotes from the wills of Agnes'
father Thomas (9 Jun 1492) and mother Lettice (1 Aug 1496) as well as other
evidence. While I've not seen the wills, there seems little reason to doubt
the summaries.

The 4 Jun 1492 will of Thomas Rede named 3 Lytton grandsons - son and heir
William, Thomas and George. The 1 Aug 1496 will of his wife Lettice Rede
named the same 3 sons along with 2 granddaus - Margaret and Elizabeth. The
footnote also adds that the arms on the tomb of Sir William Lytton d. 14 Jan
1704/05 showed the Rede arms in the seventh quartering, stating Sir William
was 'seventh in descent from Sir Robert'.

Since William Lytton was an adult in 1501/02, when he purchased Mendlesden,
Essex, a property which descended in his family. Thus he was b. sometime bef
1482, well before Elizabeth Andrews' first husband d. :
"In 1501-2 he [John Langford] and his wife Katherine sold the property to
William Lytton, who died in 1517, leaving as heir his son Robert, aged five
y***s. Robert at his death left three daughters, of whom Ellen wife of John
Brockett bought up the shares of the other two. From this date the manor
descended with the manor of Almshoe in Ippollitts (q.v.)." [William Page;
'Hitchin: Introduction and manors', A History of the County of Hertford:
volume 3 (1912), pp. 3-12. URL:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43569 ]

The Rede ancestry is further confirmed in the following bio of William
Lytton (same footnote), the chronology of which (sheriff in 1510, m. Audrey
Booth in 1498) also making it difficult for him to have been b. aft 1485.

"William de Lytton, Esq,, of Knebworth, Herts, Governor of the Castle of
Boulogne, France, Sheriff of Essex and Herts, 1510, is mentioned as "son and
heir apparent of Robert Lytton " in the will of his maternal grandfather,
Thomas Rede, dated 9th June, 1492. He is also mentioned in the will of his
maternal grandmother, Letice Rede, dated 1st August, 1496. He married 13
Henry VII. (1498), Audrey, daughter and heiress of Sir Philip Booth, Knight,
of Shrubland Hall, Suffolk, by Margaret his wife, daughter of Sir Wittin
Hopton, of Swillington, York. (Arms of Booth.-Arg., three boars' heads erect
and erased gu.) She died llth April, 10 Henry VIII. (1518), having survived
her husband, who died 26th August, 1517. William de Lytton had issue . . "

However, commentary elsewhere in the above footnote is wrong that Lytton m.
Elizabeth Andrews 1st, and Agnes Rede 2nd. Agnes Rede d. sometime bef the 1
Oct 1503 will of Richard Lytton, a clerk for 'Sir Robert Lytton knt. in the
offices of the Treasurers' Remembrancer in the Exchequer'. His will
requested burial 'beneath and nigh to the tomb of Agnes, Sir Robert Lytton's
late wife'(see http://books.google.com/books?id=TPlTxMlveecC&pg=PA76).

That Elizabeth Andrews was Sir Robert Lytton's second wife is certain based
on a correction to the 'accepted' bio of Sir Robert, again in a footnote,
this time identifying him as the arbitrator in a court case. It is there
stated:

"His second wife is said by Cussans to have been Agnes, only daughter and
heir of Thomas Rede, citizen of London, by whom he left two sons, William
and Thomas, the elder of whom succeeded to Knebworth. . . But a general
pardon for any offences or omissions committed by Sir Robert Litton in the
numerous offices held by him was granted on April 29, 21 Hen. 7 (1506) to
his widow Elizabeth and his son and heir William, being his executors, which
shows the accepted biography of him to be incorrect (see MS. R. 0., Exch. K.
R. Mem. Roll, 21 Hen. 7, inter brevia, iii. dors.). " ['Select Cases before
the King's Council in the Star Chamber 1477-1509'; Selden Society; Vol 16
(1902); page 62/63 [No Spam] http://books.google.com/books?id=zsQKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA62]

Terry Booth
Chicago IL

Great Basin Historical Society And Museum
Nov 10, 2011 - 11:00:32 am EST
Dear Pauline ~

I'm enjoying seeing the various lines of descents from Isabel (or
Elizabeth) de Vermandois. This one for the immigrant, Henry Isham,
is a good one. The line down the the immigrant is solid. I do have a
couple of minor comments, however.

For clarification, I have numbered your generations below. Published
accounts of the maiden names of the wives of Generations 10 and 11 are
not as helpful as I would like to see.

As per Complete Peerage, I believe Joan, wife of Sir Philip le
Despenser (Gen. 10 below) was daughter of John de Cobham, Knt., Lord
Cobham, by Joan, daughter of John de Beauchamp, of Hatch Beauchamp,
Somerset. Support for a Despenser-Cobham marriage comes from Gage,
Hist. & Antiqs. of Suffolk: Thingoe Hundred (1838): 4–8 who states
“among the arms at Nettlested remaining in Harvey’s time, were those
of Le Despenser quartering Gousell, impaling Cobham”.

Elizabeth, wife of Sir Philip le Despenser (Gen. 11 below) was
probably a Strange, but I haven't found sufficient evidence to prove
it. Morant's History of Essex, 2: 360-1, gives a garbled account of
this family. He identifies this Philip le Despenser's wife as either
____ Strange or Margaret Cobham. Muskett (1897) says Philip's wife
is Joan Strange, but Complete Peerage 6 (1926):289, note b, discusses
and sets that aside, giving his wife as Elizabeth (---).

One good clue to the identity of Sir Philip le Despenser's wife is his
appearance in an 1383 indenture involving the marriage settlement of
William Willoughby, 5th Lord Willoughby of Eresby, and Lucy le
Strange, daughter of Roger le Strange, 5th Lord Strange of Knockin.
This item is found in the A2A Catalogue. On the date, 23 April
1382/3, Robert de Willoughby (father of the groom) bound himself to
Lady Aline le Strange (mother of the bride) and Philip le Despenser to
enfeoff the said William and Lucy and their heirs with the manors of
Wheatacre, Edgefield, and Walcott in co. Norfolk, or with land of
equivalent value. The indenture further provided that if the said
Lucy, "wife of William, Robert's eldest son, and daughter of Aline,"
should die within 5 y***s after the Wednesday after Epiphany last past
without issue, Robert and his heirs are to pay to Aline or Philip 400
marks within the two y***s after Lucy's death.

The fact that Sir Philip le Despenser and Aline le Strange (mother of
the bride) were acting together on behalf of the bride suggests that
Philip le Despenser (or his wife) were closely related to this Strange
family. This matter deserves needs further study.

On Oct 29, 2:40=A0pm, Pauline Schwarz wrote:
< =A0 =A0My descent is as follows:
<
< 1. Elizabeth de Vermandois - Robert de Beaumont
< 2. =A0Robert II de Beaumont - Amicie de Gae
< 3. =A0Marguerite de Beaumont - Raoul V de Conches
< 4.=A0=A0Ida de Tosny - Roger Bigod II
< 5. =A0Hugh Bigod III - Maud Marshall
< 6.=A0=A0Isabel Bigod - John Fitzgeoffrey
< 7. =A0Maud Fitzjohn - William de Beauchamp
< 8. =A0Isabel de Beauchamp - Hugh le Despenser
< 9. =A0Phillip le Despenser - Margaret de Goushill
< 10. Phillip le Despenser - Joan Strange
< 11. Sir Phillip le Despenser - Margaret Cobham
< 12. Sir Phillip le Despenser - Elizabeth Tybotot
< 13. Margaret le Despenser - Sir Roger Wentworth
< 14. Margaret Wentworth - Sir William Hopton
< 15. Margaret Hopton - Sir Phillip Booth
< 16.=A0Audrey Booth - Sir William Lytton
< 17. Sir Robert Lytton - Frances Cavelery
< 18. Anne Lytton - Sir John Borlase
< 19. Anne Borlase - Sir Euseby Isham
< 20. William Isham - Mary Brett
< 21.=A0Capt. Henry Isham - Katherine Banks Royall

< =A0 =A0Mine is the same as many others until we get to Roger Wentworth.
=A0Capt.
< =A0 =A0Henry Isham is my gateway ancestor arriving in Virginia about
1656.
<
< =A0 =A0Pauline Harris Schwarz

Douglas Richardson
Nov 10, 2011 - 12:03:40 pm EST
Dear Pauline ~

I'm enjoying seeing the various lines of descents from Isabel (or
Elizabeth) de Vermandois. This one for the immigrant, Henry Isham,
is a good one. The line down the the immigrant is solid. I do have a
couple of minor comments, however.

For clarification, I have numbered your generations below. Published
accounts of the maiden names of the wives of Generations 10 and 11 are
not as helpful as I would like.

As per Complete Peerage, I believe Joan, wife of Sir Philip le
Despenser (Gen. 10 below) was daughter of John de Cobham, Knt., Lord
Cobham, by Joan, daughter of John de Beauchamp, of Hatch Beauchamp,
Somerset. Support for a Despenser-Cobham marriage comes from Gage,
History & Antiqs. of Suffolk: Thingoe Hundred (1838): 4–8 who states
[...]

On Oct 29, 2:40 pm, Pauline Schwarz wrote:
< My descent is as follows:
<
< 1. Elizabeth de Vermandois - Robert de Beaumont
< 2. Robert II de Beaumont - Amicie de Gae
< 3. Marguerite de Beaumont - Raoul V de Conches
< 4. Ida de Tosny - Roger Bigod II
< 5. Hugh Bigod III - Maud Marshall
< 6. Isabel Bigod - John Fitzgeoffrey
< 7. Maud Fitzjohn - William de Beauchamp
< 8. Isabel de Beauchamp - Hugh le Despenser
< 9. Phillip le Despenser - Margaret de Goushill
< 10. Phillip le Despenser - Joan Strange
< 11. Sir Phillip le Despenser - Margaret Cobham
< 12. Sir Phillip le Despenser - Elizabeth Tybotot
< 13. Margaret le Despenser - Sir Roger Wentworth
< 14. Margaret Wentworth - Sir William Hopton
< 15. Margaret Hopton - Sir Phillip Booth
< 16. Audrey Booth - Sir William Lytton
< 17. Sir Robert Lytton - Frances Cavelery
< 18. Anne Lytton - Sir John Borlase
< 19. Anne Borlase - Sir Euseby Isham
< 20. William Isham - Mary Brett
< 21. Capt. Henry Isham - Katherine Banks Royall

< Mine is the same as many others until we get to Roger Wentworth.
Capt.
< Henry Isham is my gateway ancestor arriving in Virginia about
1656.
<
< Pauline Harris Schwarz

Notnek202
Nov 11, 2011 - 07:55:57 pm EST
On Nov 10, 11:03=A0am, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> [...]
> < 7. =A0Maud Fitzjohn - William de Beauchamp
> < 8. =A0Isabel de Beauchamp - Hugh le Despenser
> < 9. =A0Phillip le Despenser - Margaret de Goushill
> < 10. Phillip le Despenser - Joan Strange
> < 11. Sir Phillip le Despenser - Margaret Cobham
> < 12. Sir Phillip le Despenser - Elizabeth Tybotot
> < 13. Margaret le Despenser - Sir Roger Wentworth
> < 14. Margaret Wentworth - Sir William Hopton
> < 15. Margaret Hopton - Sir Phillip Booth
> < 16. Audrey Booth - Sir William Lytton
> < 17. Sir Robert Lytton - Frances Cavelery
> < 18. Anne Lytton - Sir John Borlase
> < 19. Anne Borlase - Sir Euseby Isham
> < 20. William Isham - Mary Brett
> < 21. Capt. Henry Isham - Katherine Banks Royall
>
> < =A0 =A0Mine is the same as many others until we get to Roger Wentworth.
> =A0Capt.
> < =A0 =A0Henry Isham is my gateway ancestor arriving in Virginia about

My descent
Found this on the internet so not sure if it is correct

Elisabeth de Vermandois (1081 - 1131)
is your 29th great grandmother

Robert II 'Le Bossu' de Beaumont 2nd Earl of Leicester (1104 - 1168)
Son of Elisabeth

Marguerite de Beaumont ( - 1185)
Daughter of Robert II 'Le Bossu' de Beaumont

Ida de Tosny
Daughter of Marguerite

Hugh Bigod 3rd Earl of Norfolk (1182 - 1225)
Son of Ida

Isabel Bigod
Daughter of Hugh Bigod

Maud FitzJohn ( - 1301)