Other Discussion: Regulator/Rectifiers?Group: aus.motorcycles
Discussion: Regulator/Rectifiers?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)

CrazyCam
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:13:08 +1100
Hi folks.

Another thread reminded me of this question, which some of the assembled
electrical type folks may be able to help me with.

I have a Triumph Street Triple.

It was built in the era of no on/off switch for the headlights.

I want to be able to switch the headlights off when I feel like it.

I have figured out the wire that I need to cut, and splice in an extra
relay, and switch to achieve this end.

Now, this butchery of wiring has been slowed down by the fact that I
need to remove the petrol tank to do it, and I was waiting for some
other requirement for the tanks removal before I did the add-in relay
business.

Since I planned this, however, I have heard of a number of cases of
Striples' R/Rs failing. :-(

My low level understanding of what an R/R does is that it neatly
disposes of any excess electricity generated by the alternator, so I am
worried that if I suddenly reduce the amount of electricity being used
up, lighting the headlights... some 100Watts... I'll then be more likely
to have the reg/rec fail.

Any thoughts?

regards,
CrazyCam

Andrew McKenna
Nov 25, 2010 - 06:38:34 pm EST
On 26/11/2010 9:13 AM, CrazyCam wrote:

> My low level understanding of what an R/R does is that it neatly
> disposes of any excess electricity generated by the alternator, so I am
> worried that if I suddenly reduce the amount of electricity being used
> up, lighting the headlights... some 100Watts... I'll then be more likely
> to have the reg/rec fail.

My equally limited understanding is that the regulator limits the flow
of electricity to what the battery requires by disposing of the excess
as heat, so I dunno how neat that really is. If the reg/rec can't shed
the heat fast enough, it heats up itself. Presumably if it overheats, it
cooks.

Possibly you can add things like fans to keep it cool - I read somewhere
about someone who added a computer chip cooling fan for exactly this
purpose.

There must be some tolerance built into the system, otherwise when your
headlight bulb blows your reg/rec goes up in flames 5 minutes later.

--
Regards

Andrew

Theo Bekkers
Nov 25, 2010 - 07:50:38 pm EST
"Andrew McKenna" wrote in message
news:NsCHo.3382$gM3.2083 [No Spam] viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com...
> On 26/11/2010 9:13 AM, CrazyCam wrote:
>>
>> My low level understanding of what an R/R does is that it neatly
>> disposes of any excess electricity generated by the alternator, so I am
>> worried that if I suddenly reduce the amount of electricity being used
>> up, lighting the headlights... some 100Watts... I'll then be more likely
>> to have the reg/rec fail.
>>

> My equally limited understanding is that the regulator limits the flow of
> electricity to what the battery requires by disposing of the excess as
> heat, so I dunno how neat that really is. If the reg/rec can't shed the
> heat fast enough, it heats up itself. Presumably if it overheats, it
> cooks.
>
> Possibly you can add things like fans to keep it cool - I read somewhere
> about someone who added a computer chip cooling fan for exactly this
> purpose.
>
> There must be some tolerance built into the system, otherwise when your
> headlight bulb blows your reg/rec goes up in flames 5 minutes later.

Yes, no, and maybe. Older systems do use the charge or heat rectifier
system. In electronics this is so seventies and eighties but, unfortunately,
in the automotive business, it is very much nineties and naughties. The
electronic industry changed over to phase modulated power supply regulation
in the mid eighties and most, but not all, motor manufacturers have caught
up by now. If you have the earlier form of regulation, known as 'past
transistor' regulation, then you may indeed have a regulator heat problem.
But your system also needs to be badly designed as well, As 90s Guzzies,
Ducatis, and Hondas, who all used pretty much the same crappy systems and
regulator failures were quite common. Current models of these have, I
believe gone modern and are using phase modulation which generates almost no
excess heat.

You probably have no way of finding out what system your Triple uses, but
these are the things to look for.

Theo

Knobdoodle
Nov 25, 2010 - 07:58:41 pm EST
On Nov 26, 8:13=A0am, CrazyCam wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Another thread reminded me of this question, which some of the assembled
> electrical type folks may be able to help me with.
>
> I have a Triumph Street Triple.
>
> It was built in the era of no on/off switch for the headlights.
>
> I want to be able to switch the headlights off when I feel like it.
>
> I have figured out the wire that I need to cut, and splice in an extra
> relay, and switch to achieve this end.
>
> Now, this butchery of wiring has been slowed down by the fact that I
> need to remove the petrol tank to do it, and I was waiting for some
> other requirement for the tanks removal before I did the add-in relay
> business.
>
> Since I planned this, however, I have heard of a number of cases of
> Striples' R/Rs failing. :-(
>
> My low level understanding of what an R/R does is that it neatly
> disposes of any excess electricity generated by the alternator, so I am
> worried that if I suddenly reduce the amount of electricity being used
> up, lighting the headlights... some 100Watts... I'll then be more likely
> to have the reg/rec fail.
>
> Any thoughts?

Did you once post that the 675 Daytona uses the same electrics but
DOES have a headlight-switch (in some markets)?
If so then it'd capable of handling it. ('though a CPU heatsing and
cooling fan is probably still a good insurance idea).
--
Clem

George W Frost
Nov 25, 2010 - 10:42:00 pm EST
"CrazyCam" wrote in message
news:4ceedf66$0$10379$afc38c87 [No Spam] news.optusnet.com.au...
> Hi folks.
>
> Another thread reminded me of this question, which some of the assembled
> electrical type folks may be able to help me with.
>
> I have a Triumph Street Triple.

Cam,
I have the service manual for a street triple 2002 on pdf file
but,
it is a 23 Meg file
if you have a good broadband connection, I can send it

George W Frost
Nov 25, 2010 - 10:48:58 pm EST
"George W Frost" wrote in message
news:f0GHo.3256$MF5.2638 [No Spam] viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com...

> "CrazyCam" wrote in message
> news:4ceedf66$0$10379$afc38c87 [No Spam] news.optusnet.com.au...
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Another thread reminded me of this question, which some of the assembled
>> electrical type folks may be able to help me with.
>>
>> I have a Triumph Street Triple.
>>

> Cam,
> I have the service manual for a street triple 2002 on pdf file
> but,
> it is a 23 Meg file
> if you have a good broadband connection, I can send it

Just thought of another way Cam,
I can upload it to hotfile,
then you can download it from there
send me an email and let me know what you decide

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)

Search Tags:
lucas distributor datsun 180b
regulator 675daytona
striplesr