Other Discussion: Tyredog ReviewGroup: aus.motorcycles
Discussion: Tyredog Review

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)

VTR250 <-streeter.demon.co.uk>
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:47:58 -0800 (PST)
Tyredog Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System WTPMS TD-4000A-X

Acquired mine in July 2009. Now it's December 2010. I'm happy with
it, but that might be because I had very low expectations to start
with. For your $269 you get two fancy dust caps (weighing 10 g each)
and a keychain fob, the monitor, which has an LCD screen and takes 1
AAA battery.

An English version of the manual is available on-line from the TyreDog
website. That helps A LOT!

One thing that was annoying: the battery cover for the monitor
wouldn't fit on properly... until I worked out how the cover works.
There is a 'L' shaped groove running along the entire length of the
battery section, so you have line up the cover plate with the end of
the groove and slide it in a straight line along the full length (a
bit like threading a curtain on to a track), and then slide the end-
tab into/under the main body. The cover will not snap onto the 'L'
shaped groove if you only engage the end tab and press it down. I
think this complicated, tight-fitting design is an attempt at making
the seal water resistant.

The monitor must not get wet. I've lengthend the chain by about 3-4
cm using a bit of unused something that came with a phone I think, so
at least I can unclip it when it's rainy. It doesn't hang down from
the ignition any more but I can stick it on top of the fork cap bolt.
I stuck a small magnet to the back to keep it in place where I can
read it.

If I turn it on for 40 mins, twice a day, 5 days a week, the battery
is flat within 2 weeks on this one. How long would you expect a radio
to last on an AAA? About the same. According to the manual, it
should last 6 months! It would be nice to have continuous TPM while
I'm on the road. Instead, to extend the battery life, I turn it on,
wait for both tyres to fill in and turn it off. In other words I
check my tyre pressure daily as part of my starting routine.

Another minor annoyance: when the battery is changed all settings
revert to their defaults. This is OK if your tyres are inflated to 30
psi front and back and a high pressure warning at 40 psi, not so good
if you want 33/36 etc.

As long as a charged battery is installed, the TyreDog retains the
readings it was showing when it was last turned off. You can tell if
the readings have updated because there are LCD segments filling the
motorcycle tyres on the display. If the tyre is black, the TD has
picked up a reading on that tyre; if it is clear it has not. The TD
takes 1 minute to initialise.

When it has finished initialising, and is listening for tranmissions,
an antenna symbol starts flashing on the display, and you can expect
tyre readings front and back within 2 minutes. NB: If you attach the
tyre sensor when the TD is up and running you will get a reading for
that tyre immediately.

As tyres deflate slowly over a long time, they need to be checked and
adjusted once in a while anyway. I have done this a number of times
and the TPMs are reading consistently correct as far as I can tell. I
have also had a TD low pressure warning after a period of not riding
the bike.

The acid test: several days ago a cardboard box of screws bounced off
the back of a truck travelling at 100 kph, and burst on impact,
scattering screws across the freeway. One minute later I rode over
the same patch. There were too many screws on the ground to steer
around but I REALLY tried! The TPM confirmed that I had picked up
s***w on the rear tyre: I knew it should have been reading 49 PSI from
previous experience, but was on 38. The extra information I had from
the TPM stopped me from going at 100 kph as if nothing was wrong, but
when thinking about what to do, it also helped me plan which option to
take. I decided to take the shortest route to my dealer. I rolled
onto their forecourt on 30 PSI, and used their loan bike while they
plugged the tyre. This diversion delayed me by 20 minutes. I feel
lucky because I did't have roadside assist and I could have been stuck
at the roadside for hours if I had tried to press on to my
destination.

How do they die? Well think the sensors are not supposed to be taken
over a certain speed (well over 110 kph). Replacement sensors are $99
so look after them! My front sensor normally gives a reading with 2
minutes, but recently my rear sensor does not give a reading for 15-20
minutes, sometimes as long as 40 minutes. I have changed the battery
and it hasn't made any difference; however, when I got a puncture, the
readings came in frequently.

Is it worth it? Yes I think I'm OK with what I paid for it actually.
It's not cheap to buy, but I can imagine it's not cheap to design and
make either. I found a nail in the car tyre today and now I'm
thinking of getting one for the car too.

Zebee Johnstone
Nov 24, 2010 - 01:39:17 pm EST
In aus.motorcycles on Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:47:58 -0800 (PST)
VTR250 wrote:
> onto their forecourt on 30 PSI, and used their loan bike while they
> plugged the tyre. This diversion delayed me by 20 minutes. I feel
> lucky because I did't have roadside assist and I could have been stuck
> at the roadside for hours if I had tried to press on to my
> destination.

But having had this experience you are going to get a tubeless tyre
repair kit so you can fix a puncture yourself, right?

Zebee

Peter
Nov 24, 2010 - 03:18:19 pm EST
>> onto their forecourt on 30 PSI, and used their loan bike while they
>> plugged the tyre. This diversion delayed me by 20 minutes. I feel
>> lucky because I did't have roadside assist and I could have been stuck
>> at the roadside for hours if I had tried to press on to my
>> destination.
>>

> But having had this experience you are going to get a tubeless tyre
> repair kit so you can fix a puncture yourself, right?
>
> Zebee

New BMW cars do not come with a spare tyre (so I am told).
I am guessing the thinking is we now have a decent communication and
delivery network to not require one anymore.

:-P

VTR250 <-streeter.demon.co.uk>
Nov 24, 2010 - 04:45:54 pm EST
On Nov 25, 5:39=A0am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.motorcycles on Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:47:58 -0800 (PST)
>
> VTR250 wrote:
> > onto their forecourt on 30 PSI, and used their loan bike while they
> > plugged the tyre. =A0This diversion delayed me by 20 minutes. =A0I feel
> > lucky because I did't have roadside assist and I could have been stuck
> > at the roadside for hours if I had tried to press on to my
> > destination.
>
> But having had this experience you are going to get a tubeless tyre
> repair kit so you can fix a puncture yourself, right?
>
> Zebee

Funny you should say that! There are some $15 kits in Supacheap
Auto. You have several sticks of rubber that look like lollies, a
tube of rubber cement and a kind of awl or something to get it into
the tyre. Have you ever used one of these kits? I think this will be
OK but I don't know if I can trust it.

Zebee Johnstone
Nov 24, 2010 - 05:32:25 pm EST
In aus.motorcycles on Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:45:54 -0800 (PST)
VTR250 wrote:

> Funny you should say that! There are some $15 kits in Supacheap
> Auto. You have several sticks of rubber that look like lollies, a
> tube of rubber cement and a kind of awl or something to get it into
> the tyre. Have you ever used one of these kits? I think this will be
> OK but I don't know if I can trust it.

Haven't use a Supercheap one but have used one bought at MCA. Tyre
did some 10,000km on the repair, which was needed because I picked up
a b****y great s***w.

They are fairly easy to use.

I carry a 12v air pump with the plastic removed under the seat in the
Noggie, the Mighty Scooter has a hand pump that can also take CO2
cartridges and I have a few of those for it.

Zebee

Theo Bekkers
Nov 24, 2010 - 06:38:39 pm EST
"Peter" wrote

> New BMW cars do not come with a spare tyre (so I am told).
> I am guessing the thinking is we now have a decent communication and
> delivery network to not require one anymore.

You guessed wrong. New BMWs have run-flat tyres. I believe you can run the
tyre deflated at up to 80km/h for 50-100 kms.

Theo

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)

Search Tags:
online wtpms manuals
TD-10000a-X
td-4000a-x test
tyre dog supercheap
tyre dogs wtpms
tyredog default setting
tyredog 12v compressor review
tyredog 4000 review
tyredog battery how long
tyredog bmw
tyredog delay review
tyredog incorrect pressure readings
tyredog manuals
tyredog or equivalent
tyredog passenger car review
tyredog pt 36 manual
tyredog reseller
tyredog review
tyredog review td4000
tyredog reviews
tyredog runflat
tyredog sensor not online
tyredog sensor not reading
tyredog sensors
tyredog supercheap
tyredog td 4000 a-x review
tyredog td 4000 vs td4000 ax
tyredog td-4000a- c review
TyreDog Tyre pressure monitoring system TD-10000a-X faulty
tyredog wireless monitor review
tyredog wireless tyre pressure monitoring system english manual
TYREDOG+review
tyredog+supercheap
TYREDOG™ TD-4000A-X-2
TYREDOG™ TD-4000A-X-2 Motorcycle reveiew
?Tyredog