Other Discussion: Libyan Rebel Commander Abdel Fattah Younes KilledGroup: uk.current-events.terrorism
Discussion: Libyan Rebel Commander Abdel Fattah Younes Killed

Page: 1   (First | Last)

TWP
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:31:51 +0100
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14336122

Libyan rebels fighting to topple Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed, the
rebel National Transitional Council says.

NTC head Mustafa Abdul-Jalil said Gen Abdel Fattah Younes was killed by
pro-Gaddafi assailants, and the head of the group responsible had been
arrested.

He said Gen Younes was summoned for questioning about military operations,
but never made it to the meeting.

Reports said Gen Younes was suspected of ties to pro-Gaddafi forces.

Two aides to Gen Younes, Col Muhammad Khamis and Nasir al-Madhkur, were also
killed in the attack, Mr Jalil said.

Some unconfirmed reports said Gen Younes and two aides had been arrested
earlier on Thursday near Libya's eastern front.

The Happy Hippy
Jul 28, 2011 - 06:24:58 pm EST
"TWP" wrote pointed to ...

:
> He said Gen Younes was summoned for questioning about military operations,
> but never made it to the meeting.

Some rumours suggest he did make it, and it wasn't Gadaffi's side who killed
him.

That may just be conspiracy theory but the military command issue for the
rebels has been fractious at least since he defected to the rebels. It's not
beyond imagination that someone would accuse him of still working for the
Dark Side, lack of progress being a deliberate consequence of that.

It shouldn't matter one jot nor have any effect on rebel military operations
and advances. If it does they're in a sorrier state than even I imagined.

Krak
Jul 28, 2011 - 07:45:51 pm EST
On 2011-07-28 22:24:58 +0000, The Happy Hippy said:

> "TWP" wrote pointed to ...
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14336122
> :
>> He said Gen Younes was summoned for questioning about military
>> operations, but never made it to the meeting.
>
> Some rumours suggest he did make it, and it wasn't Gadaffi's side who
> killed him.
>
> That may just be conspiracy theory but the military command issue for
> the rebels has been fractious at least since he defected to the rebels.
> It's not beyond imagination that someone would accuse him of still
> working for the Dark Side, lack of progress being a deliberate
> consequence of that.
>
> It shouldn't matter one jot nor have any effect on rebel military
> operations and advances. If it does they're in a sorrier state than
> even I imagined.

Maybe they are just fighting for the money? All those billions must be
a major distraction...

Jesse
Jul 28, 2011 - 11:43:14 pm EST
TWP wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14336122
>
> Libyan rebels fighting to topple Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed, the
> rebel National Transitional Council says.
>
> NTC head Mustafa Abdul-Jalil said Gen Abdel Fattah Younes was killed by
> pro-Gaddafi assailants, and the head of the group responsible had been
> arrested.
>
> He said Gen Younes was summoned for questioning about military operations,
> but never made it to the meeting.
>
> Reports said Gen Younes was suspected of ties to pro-Gaddafi forces.
>
> Two aides to Gen Younes, Col Muhammad Khamis and Nasir al-Madhkur, were also
> killed in the attack, Mr Jalil said.
>
> Some unconfirmed reports said Gen Younes and two aides had been arrested
> earlier on Thursday near Libya's eastern front.

"pro-Gaddafi assailants", as if a rebel general isn't a legitimate target.
Fun never ends with bbc

TWP
Jul 29, 2011 - 10:37:55 pm EST
"Jesse" wrote in message
news:l%pYp.19333$Vn5.10509 [No Spam] newsfe18.iad...
> TWP wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14336122
>>
>> Libyan rebels fighting to topple Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed, the
>> rebel National Transitional Council says.
>>
>> NTC head Mustafa Abdul-Jalil said Gen Abdel Fattah Younes was killed by
>> pro-Gaddafi assailants, and the head of the group responsible had been
>> arrested.
>>
>> He said Gen Younes was summoned for questioning about military
>> operations,
>> but never made it to the meeting.
>>
>> Reports said Gen Younes was suspected of ties to pro-Gaddafi forces.
>>
>> Two aides to Gen Younes, Col Muhammad Khamis and Nasir al-Madhkur, were
>> also
>> killed in the attack, Mr Jalil said.
>>
>> Some unconfirmed reports said Gen Younes and two aides had been arrested
>> earlier on Thursday near Libya's eastern front.
>
> "pro-Gaddafi assailants", as if a rebel general isn't a legitimate target.
> Fun never ends with bbc

What was he doing out in the open with just a couple of men anyway?

The next guy might be more cautious before responding to the next summons.
You're better off tele-conferencing when you're a rebel general!

The Happy Hippy
Jul 30, 2011 - 09:29:22 am EST
"The Happy Hippy" wrote ...

> "TWP" wrote pointed to ...
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14336122
> :
>> He said Gen Younes was summoned for questioning about military
>> operations, but never made it to the meeting.
>
> Some rumours suggest he did make it, and it wasn't Gadaffi's side who
> killed him.

It also seems to be a story gaining more traction with the Rebel Alliance
themselves blaming a rebel-aligned AQ element for the murder.

Not surprising a British official has been quoted as saying, "It's win, win
for Gaddafi. If the killers were Gaddafi's men it shows no one is safe, if
they were from within the rebels it shows how fragmented they still are
despite everything invested in them by London, Paris and Washington".

It also brings into question who we're supporting, recognising as the
legitimate government, financing and even arming. It would be ironic if
Younes was killed by a gun a NATO member provided.

It was said from the start that the Libya rebellion, far from being an
'uprising for democracy' was a jump on the bandwagon grab for power by
criminals and radical elements resentful of Gadaffi repressing their power
and influence. Plenty of concern was expressed over Egypt and the Muslim
Brotherhood there taking power, yet we're seemingly supporting AQ and
radical Islamist factions in Libya who obviously want to take control there.

America brought radical Islamists into power in Afghanistan fighting their
defacto enemies the Commies, we opened the door to that in overthrowing
Saddam, and it looks like we're doing the same again in Libya with Cameron
having decided overnight that Gadaffi is no longer the Good Guy he was the
week before.

Three cases of the west opening the doors to AQ and radical Islamists in
overthrowing regimes which opposed both. People could be excused for
thinking the west were actually working for Islamification rather than
against.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Search Tags:
BBC/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14336122.