Main Page | Report Page

 

  Science Forum Index » Polymers Forum » Is the HARDENED epoxy toxic?

Author Message
toba
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:15 am
 
Hello!

A short question only. Everyone says that epoxy is toxic and
carcinogens, but when they state that, they think of NOT hardened
epoxy. And what about the hardened epoxy? Is that toxic and
carcinogens? Can I use it to glue and coat the wooden toys for my
children? Since they are small children, I expect that they will hold
these toys in their hands for a long time, day after day. The younger
one will probably even put it in his mouth. So not even a small skin
irritation is acceptable.

Tobias
 
Frank Logullo
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:07 pm
 
"toba" <toba12@freemail.hu> wrote in message
news:f760fb93.0309060015.510a18ee@posting.google.com...
[quote:5f77786ce5]Hello!

A short question only. Everyone says that epoxy is toxic and
carcinogens, but when they state that, they think of NOT hardened
epoxy. And what about the hardened epoxy? Is that toxic and
carcinogens? Can I use it to glue and coat the wooden toys for my
children? Since they are small children, I expect that they will hold
these toys in their hands for a long time, day after day. The younger
one will probably even put it in his mouth. So not even a small skin
irritation is acceptable.

I would consider it safe. There are numerous examples where epoxy resins[/quote:5f77786ce5]
are approved by the FDA for food contact.
Reminds me of lawyer that was quite concerned that known carcinogen,
ethylene oxide, could be used. Once in polymer form, carcinogenic epoxy
function is gone or at worst bound to a high molecular weight inert polymer.
By coating, sounds like you're using as paint. You don't want to push your
luck.
Frank
 
MMMichel
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:15 pm
 
[quote:acb751cbda]A short question only. Everyone says that epoxy is toxic and
carcinogens, but when they state that, they think of NOT hardened
epoxy. And what about the hardened epoxy? Is that toxic and
carcinogens? Can I use it to glue and coat the wooden toys for my
children? Since they are small children, I expect that they will hold
these toys in their hands for a long time, day after day. The younger
one will probably even put it in his mouth. So not even a small skin
irritation is acceptable.

[/quote:acb751cbda]
Some are, some aren't. I have looked at bonding / lining materials by
masterbond (masterbond.com) that have a variety of FDA and other gov't. agency
approvals for incidental contact right up to lining potable water tanks. I
believe ICI / Dulux makes paints with similar approvals, and the epoxy coating
I like for that application is coronado (coronadopaint.com).

Mike
ANTI SPAM STUFF: fraudinfo@psinet.com postmaster@ACCC.GOV.AU uce@ftc.gov
abuse@willinet.net newsabuse@supernews.com
admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost root@mailloop.com
 
Neman
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:04 pm
 
[quote:022dc1d083]A short question only. Everyone says that epoxy is toxic and
carcinogens, but when they state that, they think of NOT hardened
epoxy. And what about the hardened epoxy? Is that toxic and

Some are, some aren't. I have looked at bonding / lining materials by
masterbond (masterbond.com) that have a variety of FDA and other gov't. agency
approvals for incidental contact right up to lining potable water tanks. I
believe ICI / Dulux makes paints with similar approvals, and the epoxy coating
I like for that application is coronado (coronadopaint.com).
[/quote:022dc1d083]
It is an interesting topic! But the anwerew are sad. At least for me.
I was thinking about using epoxy in decorating female dresses, shirts.
I thought to use epoxy to glue the pearls to the textile. But it would
mean that epoxy would be in a prolonged contact with the skin.
Does someone has any idea what would be safe to use instead of epoxy?
I would be grateful for any help.

Neman
 
Guest
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:05 am
 
[quote:40a1d57665]It is an interesting topic! But the anwerew are sad. At least for me.
[/quote:40a1d57665]
Well an answer can only be as good as the question.

"The" epoxy does not exist. Horizontal parts of highway bridges lean
on oil filled flexible dark brown or black epoxies, which are
definitely not fit for consumption. Clear pigmented highly
chemical-resistant industry floors are epoxies as low viscosity
impregnating systems are. Not to mention glues.

A "basic" epoxy resin should be prob free. Here i am referring to a
system of bisphenol-A-diglycidyl ether and a standard diamine like
1,6-diaminohexane or isophorone diamine should be not toxic in the
cured state.
Temperature cured hydroxy-, anhydride- and other systems should even
be less critical.

Additives, fillers, pigments, stabilizers, surface smoothing agents
and other components might change the toxicity in a wide range.

Furthermore are age and storage conditions of the resin components
very important for the quality of the cured epoxy and therefore the
quantity of low molecular weight (possibly toxic) components in the
cured resin.
 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 am