Main Page | Report Page

 

  Religion Forum Index » Christian Methodist Forum » What religious book mentions Jesus more than 100...

Author Message
arah...
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:57 am
 
What religious book mentions Jesus more than 100 times? The Quran
by Brett Buckner
Special to The Star
Sep 18, 2010

Two months ago, he was an obscure pastor leading a small congregation
in Florida. That was before Terry Jones, pastor of Dove World Outreach
Center in Gainesville, created a global firestorm by declaring Sept.
11 “International Burn a Koran Day.” It’s a threat Jones has since
abandoned amid pleas and outrage from not only the Muslim world but
people of all faiths.

“Muslims take the value of the Quran very seriously as divine
scripture, and we are very careful to handle it and store it
properly,” explained Safaa Al-Hamdani, a member of the Anniston
Islamic Center. “It is never allowed to be kept in unsanitary places,
is never allowed to touch the ground, and we must have clean hands to
touch it.

“I cannot emphasize enough the value of this book to all Muslims.”

And yet Jones appeared oblivious as to why his threats were so
offensive. The reason? Jones knew nothing about the Quran.

“I have no experience with it whatsoever,” he told the New York Times.
“I only know what the Bible says.”

Jones’ ignorance about the teachings and beliefs of Islam is not
uncommon. More than half of respondents in a recent poll by the Pew
Forum for Religion & Public Life said they knew little or nothing
about the Muslim faith.

Had Jones or any of his followers bothered to read the Quran before
threatening to burn it, they might have been surprised by what they
found.

Moses is mentioned more than 130 times. Jesus is mentioned more than
100 times. Mary is mentioned more in the Quran than in the New
Testament, and Muhammad is only mentioned four times, explained Gordon
Newby, chair of Middle Eastern and South Asian studies at Emory
University in Atlanta.

A new exhibit, “Islamic Calligraphy and the Quran,” is on view through
Dec. 5 at the Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory. In conjunction with
the exhibit, Newby has lectured on the relationship of the Quran to
Jewish and Christian scriptures.

“The Quran,” he said, “is the latest book to join the monotheistic
dialogue on the nature of God and God’s word.”

The Quran is about as long as the New Testament, consisting of 114
chapters, or suras, which vary in length from three verses to 286.

“The best way for newcomers to read the Quran is not from front to
back, but back to front,” wrote Stephen Prothero, author of ITAL
Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know – and
Doesn’t.UNITAL “Start with the Al-Fatiha (The Opening), but then skip
to the shorter, more theological suras in the back. Then read the
narratives of the prophets (toward the middle) before concluding with
the legalistic content of the longer suras in the front.”

Muslims believe that the Hebrew and Christian scriptures were both
revealed by God but have been corrupted over time, while the Quran
exists today as it was originally delivered. Translations are viewed
as human products. Only the original Arabic versions of the Quran are
considered authoritative.

“The Quran teaches the bodily resurrection and a coming judgment,”
Prothero wrote. “It requires prayers and almsgiving and fasting and
pilgrimage. It portrays a world in which one God repeatedly reveals
his will to human beings through prophets and messages that stretch
from Moses to Jesus to Muhammad.”

The Quran takes many of the biblical stories and uses them to teach
how God wants human beings to act before the day of judgment to avoid
being cast into hell, Newby said.

“Be faithful to God, perform charity, do good works, and you’ll be
OK,” he said. “I know a lot of preachers who deliver pretty much that
same message every week from the pulpit, as well as priests, rabbis
and imams.”

A brief history of the Quran

“Islam” means surrender or submission to the will of Allah (God).

Newest among the world’s major religions and with more than 1 billion
followers, Islam is based on the simplest of creeds. Murmured in the
ear of newborns and the last whisper of the dying, that creed rings in
a single sentence: “There is no god but God, and Muhammad is his
prophet.”

Followers of Islam, or Muslims (the word in Arabic means “one who
submits”), revere Muhammad as the greatest prophet who ever lived, the
last of God’s messengers. Muslims honor him and the prophets who
preceded him – Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus – as human, not divine.
Allah rules alone. Muhammad’s role was to bring an absolute and final
revelation - the Quran.

The Arabian desert was home to wandering tribes who worshipped nature
spirits and made pilgrimages to a cube-shaped shrine in Mecca that
housed scores of idols. It was into this prosperous crossroads that
Muhammad was born around the year 570.

Little is known about his childhood, except that he was known a hard-
worker, earning the nickname of al-Amin, “the trustworthy.”

Because of this reputation, the 25-year-old Muhammad married a rich
widow named Khadijah, who was 15 years his senior. The marriage gave
him four daughters, and time to ponder questions that burdened his
soul.

Over the years, Muhammad’s tribe had become wealthy, as Mecca grew
into a thriving mercantile city. They were obsessed with attaining
greater wealth, rather than protecting the poorer and weaker members
of the tribe.

Muhammad also worried that a spiritual crisis was gripping the region.
While Christianity and Judaism were familiar religions, the nomads
worshiped numerous pagan gods and had no prophets or scriptures of
their own.

“Indeed, the Jews and Christians whom they met often taunted the Arabs
for being left out of the divine plan,” wrote Karen Armstrong in
ITALIslam: A Short History.UNITAL

“It seemed to many of the more thoughtful people in Arabia that the
Arabs were a lost people, exiled forever from the civilized world and
ignored by God himself.”

That changed in 610, when Muhammad stepped into a cave on Mount Hira,
three miles from Mecca. While in the midst of prayer and a ritual
fast, Muhammad felt overpowered by the angel Gabriel, who gripped him
tightly, forcing the first fragments of the Quran to pour from his
mouth.

Inspired by his own vision and his wife’s steadfast support, Muhammad
eagerly awaited further visitations. He often went to Hira. He
meditated. He prayed. He waited. More than two years passed before
Muhammad again heard a heavenly voice and saw Gabriel seated upon a
throne.

From that moment forward, he never faltered as the revelations were
delivered verse by verse – surah by surah - over 21 years. Such
experiences were painful for Muhammad, who often told confidants,
“Never once did I receive a revelation without feeling that my soul
had been torn away from me.”

The ‘maniac poet’

Initially, converts were few, but, with growing confidence, Muhammad
attracted larger audiences drawn by the promise of an afterlife.

In paganism, death was the end of existence, thus attaining wealth was
the ultimate goal in life. But the Quran taught that the rich must
share with the poor, and promised a glorious afterlife for the
righteous and hellfire for the sinful. This threatened the powerful
upper-class leaders, who turned against the “driveller, star-gazer and
maniac-poet.” They stoned and beat converts.

In September of 622, Muhammad obeyed a vision telling him to leave
Mecca for Yathrib, an oasis city some 250 miles north. This migration
marks the beginning of the Muslim era. Islam grew in political power
as Yathrib became Madinat al-Nabi, “the city of the Prophet,” or
simply, Medina.

In January 630, Muhammad marched on Mecca with a force of 10,000 and
was met with little resistance. On camelback, Muhammad made seven
trips around the Kaaba, which housed the various pagan gods, ordered
all its idols destroyed and rededicated the shrine to “Allah, the
Beneficent, the Merciful.”

Victory at Mecca set a model of leniency followed by later Islamic
conquerers that allowed pagans to embrace Islam. Christians and Jews
could maintain their own faiths – if they paid a tax – having received
valid revelations of their own.

“The Quran insists strongly that ‘there shall be no coercion in
matters of faith,’” Armstrong wrote, “and commands Muslims to respect
the beliefs of Jews and Christians, whom the Quran calls ahl al-kigab,
a phrase usually translated ‘People of the Book,’ but which is more
accurately rendered ‘people of an earlier revelation.’”

Not long after conquering Mecca, Muhammad’s ministry came to an end.
From a hill near Mecca, he faced a throng of pilgrims and preached his
final revelation. “This day (God has) perfected your religion for you
… and has chosen for you … Islam.”

One morning in 632, Muhammad died peacefully in the arms of his wife.
When Abu Bakr, one of Muhammad’s closest companions, learned of the
prophet’s death, he called followers together.

“O men,” he said, “if anyone worships Muhammad, let him know now that
Muhammad is dead. But if anyone worships God, let him know that God is
alive and immortal forever.”


Read more: Anniston Star - What religious book mentions Jesus more
than 100 times The Quran
 
Dr. R. Knapp...
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:55 pm
 
On Sep 19, 7:57 am, arah <arah1... at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
What religious book mentions Jesus more than 100 times? The Quran
by Brett Buckner
Special to The Star
Sep 18, 2010

Oh you mean what false so called religious book mentions Jesus more
then a 100 time? I know the real book of God the Holy Bible does
mention Jesus a lot more then false books like the Qur'an that deny
that Jesus is God or even the Son of God. They say Jesus is a propeht
in one of their 100 times. Only to deny what he said and bring another
false prophet into the story and saying Mohammad should be followed
but not follow what Jesus said Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the
way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by
me.

So it does not matter how many times the name Jesus is used what does
matter is what was said about Jesus from such false books.

Quote:

Two months ago, he was an obscure pastor leading a small congregation
in Florida. That was before Terry Jones, pastor of Dove World Outreach
Center in Gainesville, created a global firestorm by declaring Sept.
11 “International Burn a Koran Day.” It’s a threat Jones has since
abandoned amid pleas and outrage from not only the Muslim world but
people of all faiths.

It is like making a big thing over nothing, a book is paper and the
Koran to burn was only a copy, not the KORAN, only a book of paper and
the leaders of the book the Qur'an have publicly statemed last year
more then once. A copy is only a copy, to be real it has to be writen
in the langauge used to made the origianl Koran that Mohammad had it
written in as he did not write a word of it, only said he heard from
God and others printed it. Copies are not the real Koran, so it is
like burning the Womans Day mag, or even a school book or is not a
holy book even by your own Islamic teachings. That pastor jones that
did not even belong to any church group, wanted money and news, and
Islam sure gave it to him. I been in some remorte places that
missionaries gave them some English bibles, which they could not read,
and so used that paper for the toilet and got some use out of the
paper. Burn the Dictioanary, and not one cares so your releigons made
that preacher Jones well know and gave him all the world that know
know his name, and such. I really would not think Mohammad would of
like all you did making that person familous. To burn a copy or what
your religon say is not the real Koran is silly and makes your people
seem not to even know what they believe. I am sure the word Mohammad
is not found even once in the Holy Bible and I do not know of any book
that is not made by Islam to even use his name, as his name is nothing
to others, it is only to respected by your own group. Like the so
called "holy father' the Pope to the Catholic, to me or to you the
muslism we could don't care what they say, we do not believe it. For
non-catholic the image of Mary is only a image of some woman, and
means nothing more then it is theirs, if I want to use that image as a
target and shoot or blow it up, only shows I do not beleive as they
do, and I would think you and I could do the same to any image. If
some one burns a bible, just buy another one, a new one would be clean
and last longer as the paper is new. The Koran is seen as the essence
of God, then Jesus is pointed out to be the WORD, and God is with each
Bible as His Spirit is with us always. Now if it was the only Bible
on earth, then people would have a right to stop people from buring it
or even the Qur'an or some docturment that is the last and only one of
its kind. If it was not for the Muslism making all the news about
Pastor Jones it would of been local news in a town most never even
heard off, and with only 50 people in membership no other Christian
Church accepted him, you made him a hero for all those that hate any
and all religions and now his picture may be know better this month
then even the Roman Catholic Pope. and I am not sure if your minister
of the Qur'an if he walked up to me, I would know, now if the Pope or
this pastor Jones come in a room, most all would know them without
having to be told, what a shame, I suppose we are to think the
Muslisms for given Jones what he wanted the world to know him.
Thanks, but no thinks, I also sure in your news pastor Jone and his 50
members and his want to burn the Koran, is found more then a 100
times. Now more like now millions of times, as Islam want oft the end
to post his picture and name. But if one trys to post a picture of
Mohammand which can not really be done either, as there is none of
Mohammad that I know of, you will kill him, such is a fake, not real
and only a mind of child would think such. There is no freedom to
use the name of Allah now by others, and the Muslsim say they respect
God and the God of Jews, and Christians are the same, but now they
point out it is only the god of the muslisms. Burn a book is burning
the paper, and I sure no one would say paper is their God.


Quote:

“Muslims take the value of the Quran very seriously as divine
scripture, and we are very careful to handle it and store it
properly,” explained Safaa Al-Hamdani, a member of the Anniston
Islamic Center. “It is never allowed to be kept in unsanitary places,
is never allowed to touch the ground, and we must have clean hands to
touch it.

“I cannot emphasize enough the value of this book to all Muslims.”

And yet Jones appeared oblivious as to why his threats were so
offensive. The reason? Jones knew nothing about the Quran.

“I have no experience with it whatsoever,” he told the New York Times..
“I only know what the Bible says.”

Jones’ ignorance about the teachings and beliefs of Islam is not
uncommon. More than half of respondents in a recent poll by the Pew
Forum for Religion & Public Life said they knew little or nothing
about the Muslim faith.

Had Jones or any of his followers bothered to read the Quran before
threatening to burn it, they might have been surprised by what they
found.

Moses is mentioned more than 130 times. Jesus is mentioned more than
100 times. Mary is mentioned more in the Quran than in the New
Testament, and Muhammad is only mentioned four times, explained Gordon
Newby, chair of Middle Eastern and South Asian studies at Emory
University in Atlanta.

A new exhibit, “Islamic Calligraphy and the Quran,” is on view through
Dec. 5 at the Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory. In conjunction with
the exhibit, Newby has lectured on the relationship of the Quran to
Jewish and Christian scriptures.

“The Quran,” he said, “is the latest book to join the monotheistic
dialogue on the nature of God and God’s word.”

The Quran is about as long as the New Testament, consisting of 114
chapters, or suras, which vary in length from three verses to 286.

“The best way for newcomers to read the Quran is not from front to
back, but back to front,” wrote Stephen Prothero, author of ITAL
Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know – and
Doesn’t.UNITAL “Start with the Al-Fatiha (The Opening), but then skip
to the shorter, more theological suras in the back. Then read the
narratives of the prophets (toward the middle) before concluding with
the legalistic content of the longer suras in the front.”

Muslims believe that the Hebrew and Christian scriptures were both
revealed by God but have been corrupted over time, while the Quran
exists today as it was originally delivered. Translations are viewed
as human products. Only the original Arabic versions of the Quran are
considered authoritative.

“Islam” means surrender or submission to the will of Allah (God).

Newest among the world’s major religions and with more than 1 billion
followers, Islam is based on the simplest of creeds. Murmured in the
ear of newborns and the last whisper of the dying, that creed rings in
a single sentence: “There is no god but God, and Muhammad is his
prophet.”

To make such a claim and think others are going to believe it, does
not mean anything thing. Since one their God is not God and there is
not "god" except God is correct as "god" is seen as idol or pargain
god. Then Muhammad is only the prophet of Islam and has nothing to do
with God that created the earth and all their is, and not the prophet
of the ONE GOD that sent His son into the world to save the world and
that only the blood of Christ Jesus, God with us, could give.

Quote:

Followers of Islam, or Muslims (the word in Arabic means “one who
submits”), revere Muhammad as the greatest prophet who ever lived, the
last of God’s messengers. Muslims honor him and the prophets who
preceded him – Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus – as human, not divine.
Allah rules alone. Muhammad’s role was to bring an absolute and final
revelation - the Quran.

The Arabian desert was home to wandering tribes who worshipped nature
spirits and made pilgrimages to a cube-shaped shrine in Mecca that
housed scores of idols. It was into this prosperous crossroads that
Muhammad was born around the year 570.

Little is known about his childhood, except that he was known a hard-
worker, earning the nickname of al-Amin, “the trustworthy.”

Because of this reputation, the 25-year-old Muhammad married a rich
widow named Khadijah, who was 15 years his senior. The marriage gave
him four daughters, and time to ponder questions that burdened his
soul.

Over the years, Muhammad’s tribe had become wealthy, as Mecca grew
into a thriving mercantile city. They were obsessed with attaining
greater wealth, rather than protecting the poorer and weaker members
of the tribe.

Muhammad also worried that a spiritual crisis was gripping the region.
While Christianity and Judaism were familiar religions, the nomads
worshiped numerous pagan gods and had no prophets or scriptures of
their own.

“Indeed, the Jews and Christians whom they met often taunted the Arabs
for being left out of the divine plan,” wrote Karen Armstrong in
ITALIslam: A Short History.UNITAL

“It seemed to many of the more thoughtful people in Arabia that the
Arabs were a lost people, exiled forever from the civilized world and
ignored by God himself.”

That changed in 610, when Muhammad stepped into a cave on Mount Hira,
three miles from Mecca. While in the midst of prayer and a ritual
fast, Muhammad felt overpowered by the angel Gabriel, who gripped him
tightly, forcing the first fragments of the Quran to pour from his
mouth.

Inspired by his own vision and his wife’s steadfast support, Muhammad
eagerly awaited further visitations. He often went to Hira. He
meditated. He prayed. He waited. More than two years passed before
Muhammad again heard a heavenly voice and saw Gabriel seated upon a
throne.

From that moment forward, he never faltered as the revelations were
delivered verse by verse – surah by surah - over 21 years. Such
experiences were painful for Muhammad, who often told confidants,
“Never once did I receive a revelation without feeling that my soul
had been torn away from me.”

The ‘maniac poet’

Initially, converts were few, but, with growing confidence, Muhammad
attracted larger audiences drawn by the promise of an afterlife.

In paganism, death was the end of existence, thus attaining wealth was
the ultimate goal in life. But the Quran taught that the rich must
share with the poor, and promised a glorious afterlife for the
righteous and hellfire for the sinful. This threatened the powerful
upper-class leaders, who turned against the “driveller, star-gazer and
maniac-poet.” They stoned and beat converts.

In September of 622, Muhammad obeyed a vision telling him to leave
Mecca for Yathrib, an oasis city some 250 miles north. This migration
marks the beginning of the Muslim era. Islam grew in political power
as Yathrib became Madinat al-Nabi, “the city of the Prophet,” or
simply, Medina.

In January 630, Muhammad marched on Mecca with a force of 10,000 and
was met with little resistance. On camelback, Muhammad made seven
trips around the Kaaba, which housed the various pagan gods, ordered
all its idols destroyed and rededicated the shrine to “Allah, the
Beneficent, the Merciful.”

Victory at Mecca set a model of leniency followed by later Islamic
conquerers that allowed pagans to embrace Islam. Christians and Jews
could maintain their own faiths – if they paid a tax – having received
valid revelations of their own.

“The Quran insists strongly that ‘there shall be no coercion in
matters of faith,’” Armstrong wrote, “and commands Muslims to respect
the beliefs of Jews and Christians, whom the Quran calls ahl al-kigab,
a phrase usually translated ‘People of the Book,’ but which is more
accurately rendered ‘people of an earlier revelation.’”

Not long after conquering Mecca, Muhammad’s ministry came to an end.
From a hill near Mecca, he faced a throng of pilgrims and preached his
final revelation. “This day (God has) perfected your religion for you
… and has chosen for you … Islam.”

One morning in 632, Muhammad died peacefully in the arms of his wife.
When Abu Bakr, one of Muhammad’s closest companions, learned of the
prophet’s death, he called followers together.

“O men,” he said, “if anyone worships Muhammad, let him know now that
Muhammad is dead. But if anyone worships God, let him know that God is
alive and immortal forever.”

Read more: Anniston Star - What religious book mentions Jesus more
than 100 times The Quran

 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 pm