Main Page | Report Page

 

  Politics Forum Index » USA Politics Forum » Sharia Law...

Author Message
JSM...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:30 am
 
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as “defaming” Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such “defamation” is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.
 
JSM...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:04 am
 
On Nov 9, 10:56 am, "Baxter" <lbax02.spamgu... at (no spam) baxcode.com> wrote:
Quote:
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks  www.baxcode.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JSM" <ekrub... at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message

news:cb3bad11-a435-4998-89cf-1715c5e4bf1b at (no spam) n24g2000prj.googlegroups.com...

On Nov 9, 9:35 am, "Baxter" <lbax02.spamgu... at (no spam) baxcode.com> wrote:

Got anybody advocating America adopt Sharia law?

Well Baxter, they immediately filed suit against the law in OK that
said Shari could not be used.  What does that tell you.

Who's they?  And do you know that the ban was written so broadly that it
also banned the use of the Ten Commandments, English Common Law (which
undergirds US Common Law), and Napoleonic Code (as used in places like
Louisiana)?

Your making stuff up now. You must be a muzzi.
 
JSM...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:19 pm
 
On Nov 9, 11:43 am, HRWATPTRTCITG <HRWATPTRTC... at (no spam) com.com> wrote:
Quote:
On 11/9/2010 11:30 AM, JSM wrote:

A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as defaming Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such defamation is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

That is the way Busch and Rammy wanted the Patriot Act too !
The Men in Black are on the way to your house
to kill your entire family -- Just to be sure
you don't repeat this message again.
--
HRWATPTRTCITG

Are U off your meds?
 
Baxter...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:35 pm
 
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JSM" <ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message
news:271bfaa9-2082-4d14-8b33-31c1aec88672 at (no spam) o15g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as “defaming” Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such “defamation” is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.

Got anybody advocating America adopt Sharia law?
 
Bob LeChevalier...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:56 pm
 
JSM <ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as “defaming” Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such “defamation” is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

Clearly not in all such places, since Britain has no such provision.
Indeed, I believe that only Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Nigeria use Sharia
for criminal law. Others use Sharia for civil and family law.

Quote:
In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.

Also in China, and probably a number of non-Moslem countries.

Indeed, there are more death penalties applied in China than in all
the rest of the world combined.

lojbab
---
Bob LeChevalier - artificial linguist; genealogist
lojbab at (no spam) lojban.org Lojban language www.lojban.org
 
Baxter...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:56 pm
 
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JSM" <ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message
news:cb3bad11-a435-4998-89cf-1715c5e4bf1b at (no spam) n24g2000prj.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
On Nov 9, 9:35 am, "Baxter" <lbax02.spamgu... at (no spam) baxcode.com> wrote:

Got anybody advocating America adopt Sharia law?

Well Baxter, they immediately filed suit against the law in OK that
said Shari could not be used. What does that tell you.

Who's they? And do you know that the ban was written so broadly that it
also banned the use of the Ten Commandments, English Common Law (which
undergirds US Common Law), and Napoleonic Code (as used in places like
Louisiana)?
 
Baxter...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:31 pm
 
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JSM" <ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1d9afa10-7896-42d7-b914-49b5dac5e8f5 at (no spam) 35g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
On Nov 9, 10:56 am, "Baxter" <lbax02.spamgu... at (no spam) baxcode.com> wrote:
"JSM" <ekrub... at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message

news:cb3bad11-a435-4998-89cf-1715c5e4bf1b at (no spam) n24g2000prj.googlegroups.com...

On Nov 9, 9:35 am, "Baxter" <lbax02.spamgu... at (no spam) baxcode.com> wrote:

Got anybody advocating America adopt Sharia law?

Well Baxter, they immediately filed suit against the law in OK that
said Shari could not be used. What does that tell you.

Who's they? And do you know that the ban was written so broadly that it
also banned the use of the Ten Commandments, English Common Law (which
undergirds US Common Law), and Napoleonic Code (as used in places like
Louisiana)?

Your making stuff up now. You must be a muzzi.

http://buckdogpolitics.blogspot.com/2010/11/oklamhoma-propositon-to-ban-sharia-law.html
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/03/law-professor-ban-on-sharia-law-a-mess/
http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2010/11/oklahoma_bans_sharia_law_in_co.php
 
HRWATPTRTCITG...
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:43 pm
 
On 11/9/2010 11:30 AM, JSM wrote:
Quote:
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as “defaming” Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such “defamation” is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.


That is the way Busch and Rammy wanted the Patriot Act too !
The Men in Black are on the way to your house
to kill your entire family -- Just to be sure
you don't repeat this message again.
--
HRWATPTRTCITG
 
Lobby Dosser...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:26 am
 
"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at (no spam) lojban.org> wrote in message
news:812jd61uhp70km3u26n9994bvkuqqtppvs at (no spam) 4ax.com...
Quote:
JSM <ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote:
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as "defaming" Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such "defamation" is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

Clearly not in all such places, since Britain has no such provision.
Indeed, I believe that only Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Nigeria use Sharia
for criminal law. Others use Sharia for civil and family law.

But their civil law extends into areas we would consider criminal law. Wife
beating, for example.

Quote:

In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.

Also in China, and probably a number of non-Moslem countries.

Indeed, there are more death penalties applied in China than in all
the rest of the world combined.

I am astonished! We agree on something.

Quote:

lojbab
---
Bob LeChevalier - artificial linguist; genealogist
lojbab at (no spam) lojban.org Lojban language www.lojban.org



--
If your name is No, I voted for you - more than once ...
 
Lobby Dosser...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 am
 
"HRWATPTRTCITG" <HRWATPTRTCITG at (no spam) com.com> wrote in message
news:4cd9a449$0$14826$bbae4d71 at (no spam) news.suddenlink.net...
Quote:
On 11/9/2010 11:30 AM, JSM wrote:
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as “defaming” Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such “defamation” is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.


That is the way Busch and Rammy wanted the Patriot Act too !

WHO?!

Quote:
The Men in Black are on the way to your house
to kill your entire family -- Just to be sure
you don't repeat this message again.

The guys with the canvas sport coats should be on their way to yours. Do you
have Lots of Imaginary people?

Quote:
--
HRWATPTRTCITG



--
If your name is No, I voted for you - more than once ...
 
Bob LeChevalier...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:02 am
 
David Carl <David_Carl at (no spam) fester.com> wrote:
Quote:
One of the biggest problem with Muslims, IMHO, is that by virtue of their
religion, they are required not only to live by the Sharia Law outlined in the
Quran, but to have the government of the land they live in to use the same
Sharia Law legal system.

Except of course that they don't.

Most Moslem countries do NOT have Sharia law except in the civil
arena. And the largest ones, Turkey, Indonesia, Bangladesh and
Pakistan, have a secular legal system, with only a few Islamic
considerations in their laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
<There is tremendous variety in the interpretation and implementation
< of Islamic Law in Muslim societies today. Liberal movements within
< Islam have questioned the relevance and applicability of Sharia from
< a variety of perspectives; Islamic feminism brings multiple points of
< view to the discussion. Some of the largest Muslim countries,
< including Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan, have largely secular
< constitutions and laws, with only a few Islamic Law provisions in
< family law. Turkey has a constitution that is officially strongly
< secular. India and the Philippines are the only countries in the
< world that have separate Muslim civil laws, wholly based on Sharia.
< In India, Muslim civil laws are framed by the Muslim Personal Law
< board while in the Philippines, it is framed by the Code of Muslim
< Personal Laws. However, the criminal laws in both the countries are
< uniform.
<
<In September 2008, newspapers in the United Kingdom stated the
< government had "quietly sanctioned" the recognition of Sharia courts.
< This refers to situations where both sides in a legal dispute freely
< choose a Sharia court as a binding arbitrator rather than taking a
< matter before the official courts. The decision did not break new
< ground: the decisions of similar Jewish beth din court arbitrations
< have been recognized in England for over 100 years.[150] Neither
< party can be forced into arbitration by a Sharia or a Jewish court.
<
<Most countries of the Middle East and North Africa maintain a dual
< system of secular courts and religious courts, in which the religious
< courts mainly regulate marriage and inheritance. Saudi Arabia and
< Iran maintain religious courts for all aspects of jurisprudence, and
< the Mutaween (religious police) assert social compliance. Laws
< derived from Sharia are also applied in Afghanistan, Libya and Sudan.
< Sharia law is officially recognised by the justice system in Israel
< in matters of personal status of Muslims if they choose a Sharia
< court (e.g. marriage, divorce, guardianship.) Judges' salaries are
< paid by the state.[151] Lebanon also incorporates Sharia law for
< Muslims in family matters.[152] Some states in northern Nigeria have
< reintroduced Sharia courts.[153] In practice the new Sharia courts in
< Nigeria have most often meant the re-introduction of harsh
< punishments without respecting the much tougher rules of evidence and
< testimony. The punishments include amputation of one/both hands for
< theft and stoning for adultery.[154]

Note that even Israel allows Sharia law. But not for criminal cases.

Quote:
That has made it virtually impossible for Muslims
living in non-Sharia Law lands to be complete to their faith.

No more than Christians and Jews cannot be complete without Biblical
law.

lojbab
---
Bob LeChevalier - artificial linguist; genealogist
lojbab at (no spam) lojban.org Lojban language www.lojban.org
 
Bob LeChevalier...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:06 am
 
"Lobby Dosser" <LD at (no spam) invalid.invalid> wrote:
Quote:
"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at (no spam) lojban.org> wrote in message
news:812jd61uhp70km3u26n9994bvkuqqtppvs at (no spam) 4ax.com...
JSM <ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote:
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as "defaming" Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such "defamation" is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

Clearly not in all such places, since Britain has no such provision.
Indeed, I believe that only Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Nigeria use Sharia
for criminal law. Others use Sharia for civil and family law.

But their civil law extends into areas we would consider criminal law. Wife
beating, for example.

Evidence is lacking. But in any case, criminal laws would trump civil
laws.

Quote:
In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.

Also in China, and probably a number of non-Moslem countries.

Indeed, there are more death penalties applied in China than in all
the rest of the world combined.

I am astonished! We agree on something.

%^)

But notice that JSM doesn't go on and on about the evils of the
Chinese legal system.

lojbab
---
Bob LeChevalier - artificial linguist; genealogist
lojbab at (no spam) lojban.org Lojban language www.lojban.org
 
Sancho Panza...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:48 am
 
On 11/9/2010 12:35 PM, Baxter wrote:
Quote:
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JSM"<ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message
news:271bfaa9-2082-4d14-8b33-31c1aec88672 at (no spam) o15g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as “defaming” Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such “defamation” is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.

Got anybody advocating America adopt Sharia law?

For starters, Muneer Awad. That was easy.
 
Sancho Panza...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:50 am
 
On 11/10/2010 8:02 AM, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
Quote:
David Carl<David_Carl at (no spam) fester.com> wrote:
One of the biggest problem with Muslims, IMHO, is that by virtue of their
religion, they are required not only to live by the Sharia Law outlined in the
Quran, but to have the government of the land they live in to use the same
Sharia Law legal system.

Except of course that they don't.

Most Moslem countries do NOT have Sharia law except in the civil
arena. And the largest ones, Turkey, Indonesia, Bangladesh and
Pakistan, have a secular legal system, with only a few Islamic
considerations in their laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
There is tremendous variety in the interpretation and implementation
of Islamic Law in Muslim societies today. Liberal movements within
Islam have questioned the relevance and applicability of Sharia from
a variety of perspectives; Islamic feminism brings multiple points of
view to the discussion. Some of the largest Muslim countries,
including Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan, have largely secular
constitutions and laws, with only a few Islamic Law provisions in
family law. Turkey has a constitution that is officially strongly
secular. India and the Philippines are the only countries in the
world that have separate Muslim civil laws, wholly based on Sharia.
In India, Muslim civil laws are framed by the Muslim Personal Law
board while in the Philippines, it is framed by the Code of Muslim
Personal Laws. However, the criminal laws in both the countries are
uniform.

In September 2008, newspapers in the United Kingdom stated the
government had "quietly sanctioned" the recognition of Sharia courts.
This refers to situations where both sides in a legal dispute freely
choose a Sharia court as a binding arbitrator rather than taking a
matter before the official courts. The decision did not break new
ground: the decisions of similar Jewish beth din court arbitrations
have been recognized in England for over 100 years.[150] Neither
party can be forced into arbitration by a Sharia or a Jewish court.

Most countries of the Middle East and North Africa maintain a dual
system of secular courts and religious courts, in which the religious
courts mainly regulate marriage and inheritance. Saudi Arabia and
Iran maintain religious courts for all aspects of jurisprudence, and
the Mutaween (religious police) assert social compliance. Laws
derived from Sharia are also applied in Afghanistan, Libya and Sudan.
Sharia law is officially recognised by the justice system in Israel
in matters of personal status of Muslims if they choose a Sharia
court (e.g. marriage, divorce, guardianship.) Judges' salaries are
paid by the state.[151] Lebanon also incorporates Sharia law for
Muslims in family matters.[152] Some states in northern Nigeria have
reintroduced Sharia courts.[153] In practice the new Sharia courts in
Nigeria have most often meant the re-introduction of harsh
punishments without respecting the much tougher rules of evidence and
testimony. The punishments include amputation of one/both hands for
theft and stoning for adultery.[154]

Note that even Israel allows Sharia law. But not for criminal cases.

That has made it virtually impossible for Muslims
living in non-Sharia Law lands to be complete to their faith.

No more than Christians and Jews cannot be complete without Biblical
law.

You have to look long and hard to find where U.S. law conflicts with
Judeo-Christian biblical law.
 
Sancho Panza...
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:52 am
 
On 11/10/2010 7:44 AM, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
Quote:
JSM<ekrubmeg at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote:
On Nov 9, 9:35 am, "Baxter"<lbax02.spamgu... at (no spam) baxcode.com> wrote:
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JSM"<ekrub... at (no spam) gmail.com> wrote in message

news:271bfaa9-2082-4d14-8b33-31c1aec88672 at (no spam) o15g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

A central provision of Sharia law is its prohibition against speech
that can be construed as defaming Islam or the prophet Mohammed.
Where Sharia is practiced and enforced, such defamation is a
criminal offense that can be punished by death.

In other words, what we in America take for granted as free speech is
a capital crime in some areas of the Muslim world.

Got anybody advocating America adopt Sharia law?

Well Baxter, they immediately filed suit against the law in OK that
said Shari could not be used. What does that tell you.

That they don't like laws that establish religion.

The case does not deal with establishing religion. It has to do with
establishing the rule of civil and criminal law in this country.

Quote:

That they want equal status for Sharia courts with Jewish beth din
courts, for voluntary private settling of disputes

 
 
Page 1 of 9    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:17 pm