Main Page | Report Page

 

  Music Forum Index » Queen Music Forum » my own take on Queen +Paul Rodgers' "The Cosmos...

Author Message
The Home Guard...
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 am
 
RichL wrote:
Quote:
The Home Guard <contactus at (no spam) theSPAMTRAPhomeguard.info> wrote:
RichL wrote:
The Home Guard <contactus at (no spam) theSPAMTRAPhomeguard.info> wrote:
RichL wrote:
Daniel Dreibelbis <dreibelEAT at (no spam) HOTsympaticoDEATH.caSPAMMERS> wrote:
In article <Ce2dnWLlr5Wx8nzVnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d at (no spam) supernews.com>,
"RichL" <rpleavitt at (no spam) yahoo.com> wrote:

I guess you'd consider me a Queen purist. I'm afraid I'd be
disappointed. No piano, no humor = no Queen.

I'll see if I can dig up some YouTube videos from the album. I'm
sure they'll be up soon if they aren't already. If it sounds
good, I'd buy it, but I'd pretend it's a different band (really,
it is in all but name).
"C-Lebrity' is up on YouTube, and it was released a few weeks
ago on iTunes (the album won't be out in NA until the end of
October, I think there's some reorganizing being done at
Hollywood Records, they apparently have merged with Fontana!). If
you go to the official website, though (
http://www.queenonline.com ) they have excerpts from the album
for streaming - I pre-ordered the album last month.
Thanks. I'll check out the Queen site.
The whole album is available for free (and legal) streaming here:


http://www.last.fm/music/Queen%2B%252B%2BPaul%2BRodgers/The+Cosmos+Rocks
You may have to be a member, but I thoroughly recommend that anyway.
"Album not found."

Or maybe you have to be a member to see it?
Try this:

http://www.last.fm/music?m=all&q=queen+paul+rodgers

Choose the top search result, and click on "See more" under "Top
Albums". It's at the bottom of that page.

You don't have to be a member to see it (I logged out), but maybe all
those %2Bs are gumming up the system.
'Your search "queen paul rodgers" did not match any music on Last.fm'
Odd....

Hmmmm. I wonder whether it's simply not available on your side of the
Atlantic... Thinking about it, that's the most logical explanation.
Sorry to build up your hopes!

--
My band: feedback always welcome
www.myspace.com/thehomeguardinfo
http://cdbaby.com/cd/homeguard
 
The Home Guard...
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:40 am
 
dvaoa wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 8:15 pm, "RichL" <rpleav... at (no spam) yahoo.com> wrote:

it, but I'd pretend it's a different band (really, it is in all but
name).

Just as well, considering how much you like the original lineup.

I'm guessing you be pretty upset if they tried to pull off A Night At
The Opera Part Deux with Paul Rodgers...not a good fit. it sounds
like they went with Paul's strengths as opposed to forcing him to do a
Freddie tribute.

I think that's the point of being "Queen + Paul Rodgers" - if they were
going for a direct replacement for Freddie, they'd probably still call
themselves just "Queen".

--
My band: feedback always welcome
www.myspace.com/thehomeguardinfo
http://cdbaby.com/cd/homeguard
 
The Home Guard...
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 am
 
howldog wrote:
Quote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:34:47 +0100, The Home Guard
contactus at (no spam) theSPAMTRAPhomeguard.info> wrote:

RichL wrote:
Daniel Dreibelbis <dreibelEAT at (no spam) HOTsympaticoDEATH.caSPAMMERS> wrote:
In article <Ce2dnWLlr5Wx8nzVnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d at (no spam) supernews.com>,
"RichL" <rpleavitt at (no spam) yahoo.com> wrote:

I guess you'd consider me a Queen purist. I'm afraid I'd be
disappointed. No piano, no humor = no Queen.

I'll see if I can dig up some YouTube videos from the album. I'm
sure they'll be up soon if they aren't already. If it sounds good,
I'd buy it, but I'd pretend it's a different band (really, it is in
all but name).
"C-Lebrity' is up on YouTube, and it was released a few weeks ago
on iTunes (the album won't be out in NA until the end of October, I
think there's some reorganizing being done at Hollywood Records, they
apparently have merged with Fontana!). If you go to the official
website, though ( http://www.queenonline.com ) they have excerpts from
the album for streaming - I pre-ordered the album last month.
Thanks. I'll check out the Queen site.
The whole album is available for free (and legal) streaming here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Queen%2B%252B%2BPaul%2BRodgers/The+Cosmos+Rocks

You may have to be a member, but I thoroughly recommend that anyway.


I'm a member, and all I'm getting is 30 second clips of any song. Try
to create a Queen + Paul Rodgers radio station and you get "no
content".

Were you able to listen to full length songs?

Yep - but I'm in the UK. Are you listening from a country where the CD
has been released? I'm suspecting that this is a factor.

--
My band: feedback always welcome
www.myspace.com/thehomeguardinfo
http://cdbaby.com/cd/homeguard
 
levi...
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:10 am
 
On Sep 29, 12:43�pm, howldog <howl... at (no spam) yahoonospam.com> wrote:

Quote:

good open-minded review, thanks- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -

Hey idiot -

You forgot to vet this guy before responding. Is he as great a
musician as Brian May?!

If he isn't, how can we trust his opinon?!
 
Daniel Dreibelbis...
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:56 pm
 
In article
<cf3cdbaa-c5d3-4fe6-8ebf-fd584b91e5de at (no spam) k7g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
levi <ldnayman at (no spam) aol.com> wrote:

Quote:
Hey idiot -

You forgot to vet this guy before responding. Is he as great a
musician as Brian May?!

If he isn't, how can we trust his opinon?!

follow the links in my sig and see for yourself :)

BTW, I may not be good as Brian, but I know what I like :)

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121942
Current Songs - "Barbecue Man"
newest YouTube Video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZnAQLmzoU8
 
howldog...
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:50 am
 
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 19:56:06 -0400, Daniel Dreibelbis
<dreibelEAT at (no spam) HOTsympaticoDEATH.caSPAMMERS> wrote:

Quote:
In article
cf3cdbaa-c5d3-4fe6-8ebf-fd584b91e5de at (no spam) k7g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
levi <ldnayman at (no spam) aol.com> wrote:

Hey idiot -

You forgot to vet this guy before responding. Is he as great a
musician as Brian May?!

If he isn't, how can we trust his opinon?!

follow the links in my sig and see for yourself :)

BTW, I may not be good as Brian, but I know what I like Smile


hey levi, Dreibelbis is a practicing, competent musician, can play
rings around anything your stupid lame ass ever conceived of, is man
enough to post his music online so people can put his opinions about
music in perspective, and so consequenlty, his opinion about music is
worth ten trillion of yours.

All you know how to say is "you suck". You did the music world a big
favor by giving up. Now do the rest of humanity a favor and go choke
on a matza ball, retard.
 
Angus Manwaring...
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:56 am
 
On 30-Sep-08 15:25:28, RichL said
Quote:
dvaoa <dvaoa at (no spam) altavista.com> wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:15 pm, "RichL" <rpleav... at (no spam) yahoo.com> wrote:


Yeah, I don't think he's bad, and I don't really dislike the Queen +
Paul Rodgers stuff. But personally I think Rodgers hit his peak with
Free.


I won't quite disagree with that, because I think Free were so good, but
if you factor in that the bands he's been with since have not been made
of the same stuff - and I'm not talking about the recent collabaration
with Queen, then you have a superb singer, looking for the right framework
to exist in.

I think his singing was particuarly great on his album "Now" and the band
were working well. "Muddy Water Blues" is great too, but more in a hard
(blues) rock way. But in fairness, while he's produced quite a bit of
stuff that isn't for me since Free, he throws in a song now and then that
demonstrates his singing is still beyond reproach - for me at least.





All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html
 
The Mighty T.B....
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:27 am
 
"Daniel Dreibelbis" wrote:

(snip)

Quote:
I also feel that the album was a bit of a rush
job, and could've benefitted from some more time writing and producing
it (which, of course, is understandable considering all three of the
guys have other concerns they're dealing with, Brian especially).


(snip)

I'm out of the loop here. What "concerns" is Brian May dealing with these
days?

T.B.
 
The Chris...
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:55 am
 
"The Mighty T.B." <partyslammer at (no spam) sowcawl.ahrahr.com> wrote in
news:yZWdnUVvuviFLGHVnZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d at (no spam) giganews.com:

Quote:
"Daniel Dreibelbis" wrote:

(snip)

I also feel that the album was a bit of a rush
job, and could've benefitted from some more time writing and producing
it (which, of course, is understandable considering all three of the
guys have other concerns they're dealing with, Brian especially).


(snip)

I'm out of the loop here. What "concerns" is Brian May dealing with these
days?

T.B.



Didn't he just finish off his Doctrate or something?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-08-24-brian-may_N.htm
 
Daniel Dreibelbis...
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:32 pm
 
In article <yZWdnUVvuviFLGHVnZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d at (no spam) giganews.com>,
"The Mighty T.B." <partyslammer at (no spam) sowcawl.ahrahr.com> wrote:

Quote:
I also feel that the album was a bit of a rush
job, and could've benefitted from some more time writing and producing
it (which, of course, is understandable considering all three of the
guys have other concerns they're dealing with, Brian especially).


(snip)

I'm out of the loop here. What "concerns" is Brian May dealing with these
days?

let's see, finishing his doctorate, writing books on the theory of
the creation of the universe with Sir Patrick Moore, being an occasional
guest on _The Sky At Night_, being a chancellor of a British college,
writing books about stereoscopic photography, being a husband and
father, running his own guitar company....am I missing anything? :)

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121942
Current Songs - "Barbecue Man"
newest YouTube Video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZnAQLmzoU8
 
Wog George...
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:38 pm
 
"Daniel Dreibelbis" <dreibelEAT at (no spam) HOTsympaticoDEATH.caSPAMMERS> wrote in
message news:gdj0tc$5sp$1 at (no spam) registered.motzarella.org...
Quote:
In article <yZWdnUVvuviFLGHVnZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d at (no spam) giganews.com>,
"The Mighty T.B." <partyslammer at (no spam) sowcawl.ahrahr.com> wrote:

I also feel that the album was a bit of a rush
job, and could've benefitted from some more time writing and producing
it (which, of course, is understandable considering all three of the
guys have other concerns they're dealing with, Brian especially).


(snip)

I'm out of the loop here. What "concerns" is Brian May dealing with
these
days?

let's see, finishing his doctorate, writing books on the theory of
the creation of the universe with Sir Patrick Moore, being an occasional
guest on _The Sky At Night_, being a chancellor of a British college,
writing books about stereoscopic photography, being a husband and
father, running his own guitar company....am I missing anything? :)


Touché, Dano!

Brian May is a smart cookie and a great player.

Is his father still kicking? Apparently Brian and his dad built the
original Brian May guitar from a hunk of wood from a hundred year old
fireplace or something like that. He certainly had an instantly
recognisable tone.

--
George
"I wish I could have tomorrow all over again" - Rick Kelly - 16 September
2007
 
Daniel Dreibelbis...
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:04 pm
 
In article <yw9Lk.7212$sc2.4687 at (no spam) news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"Wog George" <wog-NotThisBit-george at (no spam) amd-p.com> wrote:

Quote:
Brian May is a smart cookie and a great player.

Is his father still kicking? Apparently Brian and his dad built the
original Brian May guitar from a hunk of wood from a hundred year old
fireplace or something like that. He certainly had an instantly
recognisable tone.

unfortunately Harold died back in '87. And that guitar was quite an
undertaking - it took them two years to plan out and buildusing ordinary
household tools (IIRC, Brian actually carved and contoured the neck with
a pocket knife!) The neck was that mantlepiece, a mahoghany dresser
provided the body.

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121942
Current Songs - "Barbecue Man"
newest YouTube Video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZnAQLmzoU8
 
Wog George...
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 pm
 
"Daniel Dreibelbis" <dreibelEAT at (no spam) HOTsympaticoDEATH.caSPAMMERS> wrote in
message news:gdjgr2$1io$1 at (no spam) registered.motzarella.org...
Quote:
In article <yw9Lk.7212$sc2.4687 at (no spam) news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"Wog George" <wog-NotThisBit-george at (no spam) amd-p.com> wrote:

Brian May is a smart cookie and a great player.

Is his father still kicking? Apparently Brian and his dad built the
original Brian May guitar from a hunk of wood from a hundred year old
fireplace or something like that. He certainly had an instantly
recognisable tone.

unfortunately Harold died back in '87. And that guitar was quite an
undertaking - it took them two years to plan out and build using ordinary
household tools (IIRC, Brian actually carved and contoured the neck with
a pocket knife!) The neck was that mantlepiece, a mahoghany dresser
provided the body.


Bloody amazing, and thanks for the extra detail.

RIP Harold. It's apparent where Brian's level and very active head came
from.

--
George
"In the outside world I am a simple geologist, but in here I am Falcor,
Defender of the Alliance." - Randy Marsh - 4 October 2006
 
tttt...
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:16 am
 
The Mighty T.B. wrote:
Quote:
"Daniel Dreibelbis" wrote:
I also feel that the album was a bit of a rush
job, and could've benefitted from some more time writing and producing
it (which, of course, is understandable considering all three of the
guys have other concerns they're dealing with, Brian especially).


Yeah, they only have 10 years to write songs since 'Another world' and
'Electric fire', I suppose another 10 years would have been enough?
 
The Mighty T.B....
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 am
 
"Daniel Dreibelbis" wrote:

Quote:
(snip)

I'm out of the loop here. What "concerns" is Brian May dealing with
these
days?

let's see, finishing his doctorate, writing books on the theory of
the creation of the universe with Sir Patrick Moore, being an occasional
guest on _The Sky At Night_, being a chancellor of a British college,
writing books about stereoscopic photography, being a husband and
father, running his own guitar company....am I missing anything? Smile

The way you worded your original post, it vaguely sounded like may had some
serious *recent* personal issues, not stuff he's been involved in for years.
Thanks for the clarification.

T.B.
 
 
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:18 am