Main Page | Report Page

 

  .NET DotNet Forum Index » VB.NET Forum (Visual Basic .NET) » Language of the Framework

Author Message
Michel Vanderbeke
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:35 pm
 
Hello,

Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is installed on
the PC?
In order to get values from the errorstrings (e.g. the linenumber on which
the error occured), I want to pick data from the errormessages.

Many thanks and greetings,

Michel
 
Mr. Arnold
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:48 pm
 
"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:%23%23jGZPPtHHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Quote:
Hello,

Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is installed
on the PC?

The .Net Framework is common to all .Net languages. There is no need for you
to know this.

Quote:
In order to get values from the errorstrings (e.g. the linenumber on which
the error occured), I want to pick data from the errormessages.


If you do a Stack Trace on a Exception, it will give you that information in
text. There is also Exception Message.Innertext that will give you detailed
information.

There is no need to know what language the .Net Framework is written in,
because all managed code languages like VB.Net or C#.Net can access the
Exception Messages with methods to expose the properties of the Exception.
 
Mr. Arnold
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:29 pm
 
"Rory Becker" <RoryBecker@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:b0ac48a0101b58c98331ab0e8830@msnews.microsoft.com...
Quote:
"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:%23%23jGZPPtHHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is
installed on the PC?

The .Net Framework is common to all .Net languages. There is no need
for you to know this.

There is no need to know what language the .Net Framework is written
in, because all managed code languages like VB.Net or C#.Net can
access the Exception Messages with methods to expose the properties of
the Exception.


Unless I misunderstand, I think the OP is referring to language in the
sense of English vs French vs German etc

You could be right. Smile
 
Michel Vanderbeke
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:44 pm
 
Hello,

"Rory Becker" <RoryBecker@newsgroup.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:b0ac48a0101b58c98331ab0e8830@msnews.microsoft.com...
Quote:
"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:%23%23jGZPPtHHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is
installed on the PC?

The .Net Framework is common to all .Net languages. There is no need
for you to know this.

There is no need to know what language the .Net Framework is written
in, because all managed code languages like VB.Net or C#.Net can
access the Exception Messages with methods to expose the properties of
the Exception.


Unless I misunderstand, I think the OP is referring to language in the
sense of English vs French vs German etc

Thank you for your answer. I didn't make myself clear. This is exactly
what I meant.

I received a bit of code from someone, where I can extract the line-numer
where an error occurs from the error-message.
This code didn't work correctly in my program. The reason was that the
error-message was searched for the string ":line".
In my (dutch) framework the string I have to search for is ":regel". In the
English framework, it is ":line".

That is why I want to determine in which language the error messages are
given. I believe that depends on the framework that is used.

Many thanks and greetings,

Michel
 
Cor Ligthert [MVP]
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:55 pm
 
Michel

I don't know this is from the framework, however
Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture.ToString

Cor



"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> schreef in bericht
news:%23%23jGZPPtHHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Quote:
Hello,

Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is installed
on the PC?
In order to get values from the errorstrings (e.g. the linenumber on which
the error occured), I want to pick data from the errormessages.

Many thanks and greetings,

Michel


 
Cor Ligthert [MVP]
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:28 pm
 
Michel,

I have the idea that your approach will fail. Not all messages comes from
the framework.
(I have showed this to the team they told that they would pay attention to
this for americans of course strange problem).

Beside of that I have the idea that in the Benelux a lot of systems have
Dutch setting with an English framework, most of us don't care about that
(the last not for you)

Cor



"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> schreef in bericht
news:%238ctcaRtHHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Quote:
Hello,

"Rory Becker" <RoryBecker@newsgroup.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:b0ac48a0101b58c98331ab0e8830@msnews.microsoft.com...
"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:%23%23jGZPPtHHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is
installed on the PC?

The .Net Framework is common to all .Net languages. There is no need
for you to know this.

There is no need to know what language the .Net Framework is written
in, because all managed code languages like VB.Net or C#.Net can
access the Exception Messages with methods to expose the properties of
the Exception.


Unless I misunderstand, I think the OP is referring to language in the
sense of English vs French vs German etc

Thank you for your answer. I didn't make myself clear. This is exactly
what I meant.

I received a bit of code from someone, where I can extract the line-numer
where an error occurs from the error-message.
This code didn't work correctly in my program. The reason was that the
error-message was searched for the string ":line".
In my (dutch) framework the string I have to search for is ":regel". In
the English framework, it is ":line".

That is why I want to determine in which language the error messages are
given. I believe that depends on the framework that is used.

Many thanks and greetings,

Michel


 
Mythran
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am
 
"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
news:#mfw$wRtHHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Quote:
Michel,

I have the idea that your approach will fail. Not all messages comes from
the framework.
(I have showed this to the team they told that they would pay attention to
this for americans of course strange problem).

Beside of that I have the idea that in the Benelux a lot of systems have
Dutch setting with an English framework, most of us don't care about that
(the last not for you)

Cor



"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> schreef in bericht
news:%238ctcaRtHHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Hello,

"Rory Becker" <RoryBecker@newsgroup.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:b0ac48a0101b58c98331ab0e8830@msnews.microsoft.com...
"Michel Vanderbeke" <michel.vanderbeke@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:%23%23jGZPPtHHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Is there a way to determine in which language the Framework is
installed on the PC?

The .Net Framework is common to all .Net languages. There is no need
for you to know this.

There is no need to know what language the .Net Framework is written
in, because all managed code languages like VB.Net or C#.Net can
access the Exception Messages with methods to expose the properties of
the Exception.


Unless I misunderstand, I think the OP is referring to language in the
sense of English vs French vs German etc

Thank you for your answer. I didn't make myself clear. This is exactly
what I meant.

I received a bit of code from someone, where I can extract the line-numer
where an error occurs from the error-message.
This code didn't work correctly in my program. The reason was that the
error-message was searched for the string ":line".
In my (dutch) framework the string I have to search for is ":regel". In
the English framework, it is ":line".

That is why I want to determine in which language the error messages are
given. I believe that depends on the framework that is used.

Many thanks and greetings,

Michel





Lets all move to a single verbal (spoken) language. Then this would all be
settled and we wouldn't need multiple languages for our apps. I vote for
the language that primarily uses clicking sounds using the tongue (not sure
what language it is)...hmm, reading binary verbally would be pretty easy at
that point! :)

:P

Mythran
 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:49 pm