Main Page | Report Page

 

  Hobby Forum Index » Birds » Orindinky, Ever heard of it? Is it a bird?

Author Message
Val
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:01 pm
 
"Jerry Avins" <jya@ieee.org> wrote in message news:2P6dnUxRXctLr-> How do
you say "urban legend" in Latin? Smile
Quote:

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

"Genu profundus in carnero fimus" would probably be a pretty good substitute
phrase.

Usquequaque benevolens,
Val
Lat. 47:42:18N
Lon. 122:21:19W
Alt. 5ft 2in (when fully vertical)
 
drosensnap
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:07 am
 
I really hadn't thought about the Orindinky as an urban animal, nor as
a native Latin speaker. But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

Now if anybody knows about this bird/animal/mythical beast/metaphor, I
would appreciate any help.
 
Jerry Avins
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:15 am
 
drosensnap wrote:
Quote:
I really hadn't thought about the Orindinky as an urban animal, nor as
a native Latin speaker. But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

Now if anybody knows about this bird/animal/mythical beast/metaphor, I
would appreciate any help.

My tone was facetious, but my sentiment was real.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
 
SpringPam
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:48 pm
 
Quote:
But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

QUE????

"drosensnap" <dr2050@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1165982827.882467.159930@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
I really hadn't thought about the Orindinky as an urban animal, nor as
a native Latin speaker. But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

Now if anybody knows about this bird/animal/mythical beast/metaphor, I
would appreciate any help.

 
drosensnap
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:37 pm
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

SpringPam wrote:
Quote:
But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

QUE????

"drosensnap" <dr2050@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1165982827.882467.159930@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
I really hadn't thought about the Orindinky as an urban animal, nor as
a native Latin speaker. But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

Now if anybody knows about this bird/animal/mythical beast/metaphor, I
would appreciate any help.

 
drosensnap
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:43 pm
 
I figured that. However, the question remains as to why. Here's a quick
explanation from a friend of mine, "also highly unlikely, from the
evolutionary standpoint, since birds,
unlike spiders, do spend some time hatching eggs and protecting the
newborns... hence the monogamous or polyandrous behavior of feamles,
who
need male help for taking care of the offspring"

So I'm willing to give up my search for the Orindinky. For now...

Thanks for your responses everybody! This is now an official Internet
Fact: there is no such animal called the Orindinky. And there is no
animal known to man (people) whose female rips the heart out of the
male (in the literal sense, of course) after mating.



Jerry Avins wrote:
Quote:
drosensnap wrote:
I really hadn't thought about the Orindinky as an urban animal, nor as
a native Latin speaker. But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

Now if anybody knows about this bird/animal/mythical beast/metaphor, I
would appreciate any help.

My tone was facetious, but my sentiment was real.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

 
Jerry Avins
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:56 pm
 
drosensnap wrote:
Quote:
I figured that. However, the question remains as to why. Here's a quick
explanation from a friend of mine, "also highly unlikely, from the
evolutionary standpoint, since birds,
unlike spiders, do spend some time hatching eggs and protecting the
newborns... hence the monogamous or polyandrous behavior of feamles,
who need male help for taking care of the offspring"

It's unlikely on other grounds, too. Even assuming that killing her mate
confers an advantage on the female, preventing him from philandering is
probably not it. If orindinkies are carnivorous, why stop at just the
heart? Why the heart at all, for that matter? Even tigers seem to agree
that skeletal muscle is better than 'umbles. If orindinkies are not
carnivorous, why the departure from their usual diet? Why not just kill
the male and be done with it? The story seems contrived to me.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
 
drosensnap
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:29 pm
 
Very cool response, that was the kind of thing I was looking for. Now
I'll relegate (banish) it to my legendus urbanus file forever. Thanks
for your patience with my question.


Jerry Avins wrote:
Quote:
drosensnap wrote:
I figured that. However, the question remains as to why. Here's a quick
explanation from a friend of mine, "also highly unlikely, from the
evolutionary standpoint, since birds,
unlike spiders, do spend some time hatching eggs and protecting the
newborns... hence the monogamous or polyandrous behavior of feamles,
who need male help for taking care of the offspring"

It's unlikely on other grounds, too. Even assuming that killing her mate
confers an advantage on the female, preventing him from philandering is
probably not it. If orindinkies are carnivorous, why stop at just the
heart? Why the heart at all, for that matter? Even tigers seem to agree
that skeletal muscle is better than 'umbles. If orindinkies are not
carnivorous, why the departure from their usual diet? Why not just kill
the male and be done with it? The story seems contrived to me.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

 
Dora Smith
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:20 am
 
ROFL!

You're entertaining us, right?!

--
Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
tiggernut24@yahoo.com
"drosensnap" <dr2050@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1165982827.882467.159930@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
I really hadn't thought about the Orindinky as an urban animal, nor as
a native Latin speaker. But the Orindinky cannot be fictional because I
found it on the Internet.

Now if anybody knows about this bird/animal/mythical beast/metaphor, I
would appreciate any help.

 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:34 am