Main Page | Report Page

 

  Hobby Forum Index » Knives » NAZI (SS) pocket knife

Author Message
CMW12635
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:57 pm
 
I have a pocket knife that is probably a reproduction of an original from the
Nazi era. It has the swastika and SS written on the sides.
On the blade is writen "Drittes Reich" and a swastika surrounded by a wreath
along with the signature of Adolf Hitler appears on it. "Solingen, Germany" is
also found on the knife. If any subscribers could give me an idea of the
value, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

C. Ward
CMW12635@aol.com
 
brian w edginton
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:36 pm
 
On 24 Jun 2004 19:57:51 GMT, cmw12635@aol.com (CMW12635) wrote:

Quote:
I have a pocket knife that is probably a reproduction of an original from the
Nazi era. It has the swastika and SS written on the sides.
On the blade is writen "Drittes Reich" and a swastika surrounded by a wreath
along with the signature of Adolf Hitler appears on it. "Solingen, Germany" is
also found on the knife. If any subscribers could give me an idea of the
value, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

C. Ward
CMW12635@aol.com


Almost certainly a fantasy knife.
Experts such as Bernard Levine have written much on the subject. They
say that such knives were never made during the Third Reich and were
produced for gullible collectors after WW2....many were made in
England.


brianWE
God hasn't spoken to me in ages.
Do you think I should get off the medication?
 
Andy Dingley
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:55 pm
 
On 24 Jun 2004 19:57:51 GMT, cmw12635@aol.com (CMW12635) wrote:

Quote:
"Solingen, Germany" is
also found on the knife.

Quite probably British, '60s or '70s. These things were genuine
Solingen penknives, imported and re-fitted with new scales carrying
the swastika or SS marking. Pretty common, worth curio price at most.

Of course on eBay you can probably find some idiot to buy it at any
price. But make it a 3 day listing with a Buy-it Now, to give their
vultures less of a chance to pull the auction.

Here's a clue - Solingen didn't often brand their home-market products
as "Germany", swastika or not.

--
Smert' spamionam
 
brian w edginton
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:23 pm
 
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:55:02 +0100, Andy Dingley
<dingbat@codesmiths.com> wrote:

Quote:
On 24 Jun 2004 19:57:51 GMT, cmw12635@aol.com (CMW12635) wrote:

"Solingen, Germany" is
also found on the knife.

Quite probably British, '60s or '70s. These things were genuine
Solingen penknives, imported and re-fitted with new scales carrying
the swastika or SS marking. Pretty common, worth curio price at most.

Of course on eBay you can probably find some idiot to buy it at any
price. But make it a 3 day listing with a Buy-it Now, to give their
vultures less of a chance to pull the auction.

Here's a clue - Solingen didn't often brand their home-market products
as "Germany", swastika or not.

And, if they had, they would have spelled it "Deutschland"



.

brianWE
God hasn't spoken to me in ages.
Do you think I should get off the medication?
 
Andy Dingley
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:13 pm
 
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:23:31 GMT, brian w edginton <edgo1@bigpond.com>
wrote:

Quote:
Here's a clue - Solingen didn't often brand their home-market products
as "Germany", swastika or not.

And, if they had, they would have spelled it "Deutschland"

I was rather hanging on to the vain hope that he could work that out
for himself.
 
brian w edginton
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:14 pm
 
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:13:11 +0100, Andy Dingley
<dingbat@codesmiths.com> wrote:

Quote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:23:31 GMT, brian w edginton <edgo1@bigpond.com
wrote:

Here's a clue - Solingen didn't often brand their home-market products
as "Germany", swastika or not.

And, if they had, they would have spelled it "Deutschland"

I was rather hanging on to the vain hope that he could work that out
for himself.


OOPs!
Sorry!


brianWE
God hasn't spoken to me in ages.
Do you think I should get off the medication?
 
CMW12635
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:08 pm
 
I appreciate all the responses. That said, I am not an idiot and have a
rudimentary grasp of German. So, your hope was not in vain, I do know that a
German firm wouldn't have imprinted "Solingen, Germany" on the knife. I merely
related what the knife had on it in the hope that some kind subscriber would
relate to a novice more about it.

Again, thank you to all who responded.

C. Ward
 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:22 pm