Main Page | Report Page

 

  Hobby Forum Index » Food - Drink » Does Alcohol expire?

Author Message
T
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:29 am
 
I have some bottles of those airplane size containers of Alcohol.

They are at least 10 years old.

Are they still drinkable? Or does it spoil?
I have such things like, gin, vodka, cognac, etc.

Does it matter if I opened them or not?
Does it spoil once opened? (and left open)

I also have some wine that I bought back in 1990.
Does wine expire?

Thanks
 
Gunther Anderson
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:23 pm
 
T wrote:

Quote:
I have some bottles of those airplane size containers of Alcohol.

How big are these airplanes? A Cessna is considerably less than a
C-130, for instance.

Quote:
They are at least 10 years old.

Are they still drinkable? Or does it spoil?
I have such things like, gin, vodka, cognac, etc.

Does it matter if I opened them or not?
Does it spoil once opened? (and left open)

I'm too lazy to paraphrase most of this, so I'll post the link to my site:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/storage.htm

The shortt answer is, sufficiently strong alcohol doesn't spoil in any
sense that you mean. Alcohol is a disinfectant, and happily kills any
microorganisms that try to set up housekeeping. So sufficiently strong
alcohol does not rot. However, it certainly goes stale. Air exposure
of any sort will kill the flavor of alcohol. Smaller bottles are more
susceptible to oxidation, because there's simply less liquid to absorb
the oxygen. However, I've had "nip" bottles of vodka upwards of a few
years old that had shown no particular problems.

So the answer is, they're definitely drinkable, and they will not harm
you any more than fresh alcohol will. However, they may no longer taste
like they originally did. Nips are made for quick consumption, not
storage. Distilled liquors in general aren't intended for storage,
since they do not benefit fro mit, unlike wine.

Quote:
I also have some wine that I bought back in 1990.
Does wine expire?

Some wine gets much better with time. Some wine gets much, much worse.
Any wine with a cork problem has undoubtedly gotten worse. I don't
drink wine much, but I had a dozen bottles which had been stored poorly
that I decided to consume or toss. A good half of them were undrinkably
bad (they hadn't rotted, but the oxidation made them taste nasty)
because of leaks around the cork. The rest were reasonable, but none of
them were really good wine in the first place. So none of them were
exceptionally good.

So, like the liquors abve, the wine won't kill you, but might taste
nasty. Pop it open, give it a shot, and don't feel obligated to drink
it if it's not good. Life's too short to consume bad-tasting things
just because you paid for them.

Gunther Anderson
 
X.
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:10 pm
 
Gunther Anderson <gunther@guntheranderson.com>, essendo finito in un
fosso in una curva a 20 all'ora, così bestemmia:

Quote:
Air exposure
of any sort will kill the flavor of alcohol.

Could you tell me if a bottle of a strong alcoholic beverage (such as,
say, brandy) could last about a century if it had NEVER been opened?
Are the corks of these bottles usually good enough for that?






Ciao!
--

\\//
//\\ o (22,170/184,VA)
 
Gunther Anderson
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:09 pm
 
X. wrote:
Quote:
Gunther Anderson <gunther@guntheranderson.com>, essendo finito in un
fosso in una curva a 20 all'ora, così bestemmia:

Air exposure
of any sort will kill the flavor of alcohol.

Could you tell me if a bottle of a strong alcoholic beverage (such as,
say, brandy) could last about a century if it had NEVER been opened?
Are the corks of these bottles usually good enough for that?

I can't say with any certainty. I don't work with commercial brandy.
But, if stored like wine (keep the bottle on its side so the cork
remains wet, keep out of sunlight, keep the temperature fairly
constant), I don't see any reason why a bottle of brandy shouldn't be as
good now as it was a century ago. It won't be any better, but it might
not have gone stale.

Gunther Anderson
 
X.
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:11 pm
 
Gunther Anderson <gunther@guntheranderson.com>, essendo finito in un
fosso in una curva a 20 all'ora, così bestemmia:

Quote:
I can't say with any certainty.

Yeah, I think it's difficult to tell, and I guess it depends on the
bottle. My Grand Marnier bottle doesn't have the same cork my Bols
Blue Curaçao has, for instance...

I asked you so because I heard there are collectors of vintage (or
disappeared) spirits, like pre-ban Absinthe (which usually dates back
to 1910-1915, so it can be more than 90 years old). I was just
wondering whether those bottles are just good for a collection or can
be significantly similar to what the liquid tasted like back then Smile.
There would be the problem about the storage conditions, as well...
for such an old bottle, they could be mostly unknown (or anyway you'd
have to trust the seller, which is the same concept...), so it would
be reasonable to assume that no particular care has been addressed,
averagely, to the storage (exposure to high temperatures for
instance).




Ciao!
--

\\//
//\\ o (22,170/184,VA)
 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 am