Main Page | Report Page

 

  Computers Forum Index » Computer Operating Systems - MS Windows NT (Admin) » CPU spike won't go away

Author Message
Shabam
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:10 pm
 
I have a win2003 server running IIS with dotnet.

Whenver I post a large amount of data to a dotnet application's form box,
the cpu starts to spike up and down indefinitely. I stop IIS but the spike
doesn't go away. Can this really happen even after IIS has been stopped?
How do I find out what process is causing this? Looking at "processes"
doesn't show anything.

It appears the only way to stop this now is by rebooting the server.
 
Cletis Tout
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:25 pm
 
Shabam wrote:
Quote:
I have a win2003 server running IIS with dotnet.

Whenver I post a large amount of data to a dotnet application's form box,
the cpu starts to spike up and down indefinitely. I stop IIS but the spike
doesn't go away. Can this really happen even after IIS has been stopped?
How do I find out what process is causing this? Looking at "processes"
doesn't show anything.

It appears the only way to stop this now is by rebooting the server.



I suggest chilled gin and with lime.
 
Pat [MSFT]
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:26 pm
 
Depends on what else the server is doing. Watch TaskMan and make sure that
you check the 'show processes from all users' otherwise you may not see the
culprit.

Pat

"Shabam" <chalupa@yomama-nospam.com> wrote in message
news:hqydnUysrtnburrfRVn-tA@adelphia.com...
Quote:
I have a win2003 server running IIS with dotnet.

Whenver I post a large amount of data to a dotnet application's form box,
the cpu starts to spike up and down indefinitely. I stop IIS but the
spike
doesn't go away. Can this really happen even after IIS has been stopped?
How do I find out what process is causing this? Looking at "processes"
doesn't show anything.

It appears the only way to stop this now is by rebooting the server.


 
Shabam
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:47 pm
 
"Pat [MSFT]" <patfilot@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:uFi0UMIIFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Quote:
Depends on what else the server is doing. Watch TaskMan and make sure
that
you check the 'show processes from all users' otherwise you may not see
the
culprit.

Thanks. I've done that and now see it. The process "w3wp.exe" is taking up
all of the CPU. Stopping IIS doesn't help either. How can this be? Doesn't
IIS time out if a script doesn't stop executing after X seconds?
 
C-Services Holland b.v.
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:31 pm
 
Shabam wrote:
Quote:
"Pat [MSFT]" <patfilot@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:uFi0UMIIFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Depends on what else the server is doing. Watch TaskMan and make sure

that

you check the 'show processes from all users' otherwise you may not see

the

culprit.


Thanks. I've done that and now see it. The process "w3wp.exe" is taking up
all of the CPU. Stopping IIS doesn't help either. How can this be? Doesn't
IIS time out if a script doesn't stop executing after X seconds?



Did some google-ing and found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833774

does that help?

--
Rinze van Huizen
C-Services Holland b.v.
 
 
Page 1 of 1    
All times are GMT
The time now is Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:48 am